What is the total energy required to heat the material to 80 degrees?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Dafe
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Hi,

a question at work popped up and it's been too long since I went to school :p

The total energy [Wh] required to heat the system to temperature T is given by f(T)=1.28T. The effect [W] applied to the system is given by g(T)=378-3.16T. How long does it take to heat the material to say 80 degrees?

Hope someone can help me out, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my try. I'm using wolframalpha for the differentiation and integration...


[tex] \frac{dh}{dT}=\frac{d}{dT}\left(\frac{f(T)}{g(T)}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{d}{dT}\left(\frac{1.28T}{378-3.16T}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{4.04T}{(378-3.16T)^2}+\frac{1.28}{378-3.16T}[/tex]

So now I have the change in time required to heat up the material as a function of temperature. I integrate to get the time required:

[tex]h(T)=\frac{153.1}{378-3.16T}[/tex]

Meh, at least it's an attempt :p