Calculate the total energy required to fly a drone on this flight plan

In summary, the drone will consume 2000mAh from two 2000mAh batteries in 5 minutes of flight at an assent speed of 5 meters per second.
Xamaa
How much energy will drone batteries will consume if I have the following inputs,

By using provided GPS flight path data I've calculated total horizontal distance using Haversine formula, and multiplying this distance with provided horizantal speed I've total horizontal flying time. By multiplying ascend speed with total altitude (considering starting altitude is 0) I've calculated total ascending time, and same way using the descending speed I've calculated total descending time. By adding these 3 now I've the total flight time.

Now for further calculation I've following data inputs,

Code:
{
  "currentLoadInFlight": {
    "ascension": 0.020,
    "descent": 0.010,
    "translation": 0.015
  },
  "forcedLandingCharge": 200
}

{
  "verticalSpeeds": {
    "ascension": 5.0,
    "descent": 1.0
  },
  "energy": {
    "numberOfBatteries": 2,
    "capacity": 2000
  },
  "payload": {
    "additionalLoad": 0.1
  }
}
and details of these fields are as follows,

#configurations

[verticalSpeeds][ascension] the vertical speed of the drone during an ascension in meter / seconds (m/s)
[verticalSpeeds][descent] the vertical speed of the drone during a descent in meter / seconds (m/s)
[energy][numberOfBatteries] is the number of batteries mounted on the drone
[energy][capacity] is the capacity of the battery in milli Ampere Hour (mAh)
[payload][additionalLoad] is the extra load in in Ampere x Seconds ² / Meters ² (A.s²/m² ) caused by the payload (see [currentLoadInFlight])
#drones

[currentLoadInFlight] in Ampere x Seconds ² / Meters ² (A.s²/m² )
The current load in A per square unit of speed ((m/s)²) on the drone power system when it is flying

In vertical ascension [ascension]
In vertical descent [descent]
In horizontal translation [translation]
NOTE: We assume that this to remain constant thorough the mission.
[forcedLandingCharge] in milli Ampere Hour (mAh)

When the available charge is the batteries is less or equal to [forcedLandingCharge], the drone will land
Now considering energy can be calculated using,

Energy = Flight Time x CurrentLoadInFlight x Speed²
How do I calculate CurrentLoadInFlight and speed parameter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xamaa said:
How much energy will drone batteries will consume if I have the following inputs,

By using provided GPS flight path data I've calculated total horizontal distance using Haversine formula, and multiplying this distance with provided horizantal speed I've total horizontal flying time. By multiplying ascend speed with total altitude (considering starting altitude is 0) I've calculated total ascending time, and same way using the descending speed I've calculated total descending time. By adding these 3 now I've the total flight time.

Now for further calculation I've following data inputs,

Code:
{
  "currentLoadInFlight": {
    "ascension": 0.020,
    "descent": 0.010,
    "translation": 0.015
  },
  "forcedLandingCharge": 200
}

{
  "verticalSpeeds": {
    "ascension": 5.0,
    "descent": 1.0
  },
  "energy": {
    "numberOfBatteries": 2,
    "capacity": 2000
  },
  "payload": {
    "additionalLoad": 0.1
  }
}
and details of these fields are as follows,web hosting in Sri lanka
[currentLoadInFlight] in Ampere x Seconds ² / Meters ² (A.s²/m² )
The current load in A per square unit of speed ((m/s)²) on the drone power system when it is flying

In vertical ascension [ascension]
In vertical descent [descent]
In horizontal translation [translation]
NOTE: We assume that this to remain constant thorough the mission.
[forcedLandingCharge] in milli Ampere Hour (mAh)

When the available charge is the batteries is less or equal to [forcedLandingCharge], the drone will land
Now considering energy can be calculated using,

How do I calculate CurrentLoadInFlight and speed parameter?
anyone here that can response my question, any kind of help would be appreciated thanks.

I see no way to calculate CurrentLoadInFlight . If the drone hovers so that the speed=0, it still uses energy. An inefficient drone uses more power than an efficient one. I think CurrentLoadInFlight is something that must be measured by experiment, not calculated.

I also miss seeing the drone mass in your calculations. It matters whether the drone weighs a ton or an ounce.

Where is wind speed?

Xamaa said:
By multiplying ascend speed with total altitude (considering starting altitude is 0) I've calculated total ascending time, and same way using the descending speed I've calculated total descending time.
Assuming a constant assent speed, the time is not the multiplication altitude and speed. The assent time is $$t= \frac{altitude}{speed}$$

You state

I realize now you actually mean battery capacity in Amp-s not energy as in Joules.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the total energy required to fly a drone?

To calculate the total energy required to fly a drone, you need to consider several factors such as the weight of the drone, the distance it will travel, the wind speed and direction, and the type of terrain it will fly over. These factors can be plugged into a mathematical equation to determine the total energy needed for the flight.

2. What is the importance of calculating the total energy required for a drone flight?

Calculating the total energy required for a drone flight is important because it helps determine the battery capacity needed for the flight, the maximum flight time, and the potential limitations of the drone. It also allows for more accurate flight planning and helps prevent unexpected battery drain during the flight.

3. How does the weight of the drone affect the total energy required for flight?

The weight of the drone is a crucial factor in determining the total energy required for flight. The heavier the drone, the more energy it will require to stay airborne. This is because the drone's motors will need to work harder to lift the weight and maintain stability, leading to faster battery drain.

4. Can the flight plan affect the total energy required for a drone flight?

Yes, the flight plan can greatly affect the total energy required for a drone flight. A flight plan that includes long distances, high altitudes, and windy conditions will require more energy compared to a shorter and more straightforward flight. It is essential to consider the flight plan when calculating the total energy needed for a drone flight.

5. How can the total energy required for a drone flight be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the total energy required for a drone flight. These include using a lighter drone, avoiding unnecessary weight, flying at lower altitudes, and minimizing wind exposure. Additionally, optimizing flight paths and utilizing efficient flight modes can also help reduce the energy needed for the flight.