What is the Total Momentum After Two People Push Each Other on Ice Skates?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jimmyboykun
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
jimmyboykun
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



two persons on ice skates stand face to face and then push each other away. their masses are 52 kg and 77 kg. what is the total momentum after they have pushed off

Homework Equations


the equation that would be most useful here would be P=Pa+Pb the equation for total momentum


The Attempt at a Solution



Im stump on this problem. Two mass are given, but no velocity is displayed. can someone explain to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any other equation involving momentum that you think could be relevant?
 
Jilang said:
Is there any other equation involving momentum that you think could be relevant?

well I can think of the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1(initial)+m2v2(initial)=m1v1(final)+m2v2(final)

you think I can use this equation?
 
Momentum is initially zero,, what clues does that give you
 
Dan350 said:
Momentum is initially zero,, what clues does that give you

that the final momentum will be given with their respected velocities.

0+0=52kgv1(final)+77kgv2(final). But I still don't see a way to solve this. Unless I factor the v(final)?
 
after reviewing it I realize that the total momentum would zero. Because of the fact that only the masses are given and there's no other way to compute this.