What is the Trace of Density of States?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
john0909
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
regarding the density of states:
how I GET THE FOLLOWING EQUALITY?
[tex]\langle E_n\mid \delta(E-\widehat{H}) \mid E_n \rangle = \sum_n \delta(E-E_n)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If

[tex] H|E_n\rangle = E_n|E_n\rangle[/tex]

and if [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is some function, then the operator [itex]f(H)[/itex] is defined by using the eigenbasis of [itex]H[/itex], like this:

[tex] f(H)|E_n\rangle = f(E_n)|E_n\rangle[/tex]

Then, if you think that the delta function is like any function, you can do this:

[tex] \delta(E - H)|E_n\rangle = \delta(E-E_n)|E_n\rangle[/tex]

In order to understand better what's going on, you should take a closer look at how you got the [itex]H[/itex] inside the delta function in the first place.
 
yes but then you get:

[tex] \sum_n \langle E_n\mid \delta(E-E_n) \mid E_n \rangle.<br /> [/tex]

So how do you eliminate the bra and kets? [tex] \langle E_n| , |E_n\rangle[/tex]
 
If you think that the delta function is like any function, then [itex]\delta(E - E_n)[/itex] is a number, and it can be taken out from between the brackets, by bilinearity of the inner product.

[tex] \langle E_n|\delta(E - E_n)| E_n\rangle = \delta(E - E_n)\langle E_n| E_n\rangle[/tex]
 
But you didn't answer my question:

let me explain you my problem:

The density of states n(E) is defined as the trace of the spectral operator
[tex]\delta(E-\hat{H}), \newline n(E)\equiv Tr \delta(E-\hat{H}).[/tex]

this expression is equal [tex]= \sum_n \langle E_n|\delta(E- \hat{H})| E_n\rangle.[/tex]

My question is how do I get the final expression:[tex]\sum_n \delta(E-E_n)?[/tex]
According to what you said above I get: [tex]\sum_n \delta(E - E_n) \langle E_n| E_n\rangle[/tex]
BUT HOW DO I ELIMINATE THE BRA AND KETS?
Because finally I need to get [tex]\sum_n \delta(E-E_n)[/tex].
 
Last edited:
I just decided that I'm in a nasty mood, and I refuse to answer your final question, even though I know the answer. BUHAHAHahahahahh...! :devil: :smile:
 
john0909 said:
According to what you said above I get: [tex]\sum_n \delta(E - E_n) \langle E_n| E_n\rangle[/tex]
BUT HOW DO I ELIMINATE THE BRA AND KETS?
Because finally I need to get [tex]\sum_n \delta(E-E_n)[/tex].
What is [tex]\langle \psi | \psi \rangle[/tex] for any conventionally normalized state [tex]| \psi \rangle[/tex]?