What is the true definition of energy?

• Thread starter Abhi9826
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, energy is an abstract concept in physics that is defined as the capacity to do work. It is a conserved quantity and is related to various phenomena such as sound, radiation, chemical bonds, and mass. While there are formulas for calculating energy, we do not have a clear understanding of what energy actually is. It is a collection of descriptions and properties rather than a tangible object.
Abhi9826
Hey we know a general definition about Energy that it is capacity to do work...Or to do work energy is required...But this doesn't make any sense to me..
If someone ask me about Energy I becomes speeches .So Please explain me about the Energy...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that no-one explained that better than Feynman: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_04.html

The conclusion is
R. P. Feynman said:
It is important to realize that in physics today, we have no knowledge of what energy is. We do not have a picture that energy comes in little blobs of a definite amount. It is not that way. However, there are formulas for calculating some numerical quantity, and when we add it all together it gives “28”—always the same number. It is an abstract thing in that it does not tell us the mechanism or the reasons for the various formulas.

I would also add that one can say that "energy" is the conserved quantity due to the fact that physical systems are invariant under time translation, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem#Example_1:_Conservation_of_energy

Hello Abhi, :welcome:

Did you perform a thorough search before posting this ? What was it you specifically don't understand ? There's a lot to say about energy, but others need assistance too.

Abhi9826 said:
Hey we know a general definition about Energy that it is capacity to do work...But this doesn't make any sense to me
What part of the definition is confusing to you? Do you have trouble with what "work" means or what "capacity" means?

Actually I didn't understand what the Energy is...In general we say sound , radiation ,chemical bonds ,mass or any thing which is under any field (magnetic or electronic ) is Energy or posses energy...So we relating energy to everything...

BvU said:
Hello Abhi, :welcome:

Did you perform a thorough search before posting this ? What was it you specifically don't understand ? There's a lot to say about energy, but others need assistance too.
I have been thinking about this since a long time but I didn't got any suitable meaning to me...

Abhi9826 said:
I have been thinking about this since a long time but I didn't got any suitable meaning to me...

You need to step back and see if you actually understood what you are asking. For example, ask yourself "What is an apple?" and see if you can answer this. Then look at the answer you gave yourself on something that you think you know.

You will find that your answer will include descriptions such as "It is a fruit" (which is really a classification of the object), "It can be eaten", "It looks like this" (accompanied by a number of pictures of different types of apples), "It tastes like... an apple" (which assume that others understand and have a reference point to what an apple should taste like), etc... etc.

In other words, all you can give are ... drum roll... DESCRIPTIONS of the PROPERTIES of an apple.

What an object is is nothing more than a series of its properties and descriptions. So what you ask "What is X?", we have no other abilities than to describe to you the properties and characteristics of X.

Unfortunately, based on how you asked about energy in this thread, it appears as if you are seeking something beyond that, and frankly, something that doesn't really exist based on how we understand things. Asking "What is energy?" will inevitably results in us giving you all the properties and description of energy based on the physics of it. It is not just one description. It is a series of description, just like the apple.

We have had numerous threads in this forum asking for the same thing. You never responded to the question on if you've done any search.

Zz.

Likes zoobyshoe
ZapperZ said:
You need to step back and see if you actually understood what you are asking. For example, ask yourself "What is an apple?" and see if you can answer this. Then look at the answer you gave yourself on something that you think you know.

You will find that your answer will include descriptions such as "It is a fruit" (which is really a classification of the object), "It can be eaten", "It looks like this" (accompanied by a number of pictures of different types of apples), "It tastes like... an apple" (which assume that others understand and have a reference point to what an apple should taste like), etc... etc.

In other words, all you can give are ... drum roll... DESCRIPTIONS of the PROPERTIES of an apple.

What an object is is nothing more than a series of its properties and descriptions. So what you ask "What is X?", we have no other abilities than to describe to you the properties and characteristics of X.

Unfortunately, based on how you asked about energy in this thread, it appears as if you are seeking something beyond that, and frankly, something that doesn't really exist based on how we understand things. Asking "What is energy?" will inevitably results in us giving you all the properties and description of energy based on the physics of it. It is not just one description. It is a series of description, just like the apple.

We have had numerous threads in this forum asking for the same thing. You never responded to the question on if you've done any search.

Zz.
Sorry I have just joined this forum...

Abhi9826 said:

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell me if you've understood what you read, or why "just joined" has anything to do with this discussion.

Zz.

Abhi9826 said:
No need to apologize. But you have to help us a little bit by clarifying what we can do to provide you with a useful answer. :smile:

What actually is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often described as the "currency" of the universe.

How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J) or other derived units such as kilowatt-hours (kWh). It can also be measured in terms of its forms, such as heat energy in calories or electrical energy in volts and amperes.

What are the different forms of energy?

There are many different forms of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), electromagnetic energy (light and other forms of radiation), and chemical energy (energy stored in chemical bonds).

Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How do we use energy in our daily lives?

We use energy in various forms for many activities in our daily lives, such as heating and cooling our homes, cooking food, powering electronic devices, and transportation. Energy also plays a crucial role in industries, from manufacturing to agriculture.