Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What happens to energy when it has nowhere to transfer?

1. Oct 1, 2016 #1
    I am wondering what happens to energy when it has nowhere to transfer because it doesn't make sense to me that energy can be pure because it must have some kind of way of moving itself. My assumption is that energy will convert itself into matter as a way of transferring. Can someone please help me if this is a logical explanation or does some other event happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2016 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of reaction are you thinking of when you talk about energy transfer?

4. Oct 1, 2016 #3
    Well, I suppose that the energy must be passed through a medium of sorts if that is what you are asking.

5. Oct 1, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the source of energy in this scenario?

6. Oct 1, 2016 #5
    I never really thought of that but I suppose that the energy source could have been the annihilation of two particles

7. Oct 1, 2016 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case usually two photons are produced, which go off in opposite directions as radiation.

8. Oct 1, 2016 #7
    Thank you for the answer.

9. Oct 1, 2016 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

If it has nowhere to transfer then it stays where it is.

This is correct. Energy is always associated with some system of matter, fields, particles, etc.

10. Oct 1, 2016 #9
    Thank you for the clarification.

11. Oct 1, 2016 #10
    Then it's stored as potential energy !!

12. Oct 2, 2016 #11
    Thank you for the clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted