What is nothingness and does it exist anywhere?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
436
Reaction score
13
Hi,

This has always been a confusing topic for me. What is 'nothingness'? How can we imagine it? I certainly can't... and is there anywhere in the universe (or outside of the universe?) where there exists 'nothingness'? The answer can't be 'empty space', because that means that there EXISTS empty space in that space, meaning that it isn't nothingness.

Can someone help me to understand what nothingness is?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hi,

This has always been a confusing topic for me. What is 'nothingness'? How can we imagine it? I certainly can't... and is there anywhere in the universe (or outside of the universe?) where there exists 'nothingness'? The answer can't be 'empty space', because that means that there EXISTS empty space in that space, meaning that it isn't nothingness.

Can someone help me to understand what nothingness is?

Thanks

I think it is well defined mathematically, i.e. the empty set. By definition, nothingness isn't something that exists, so you don't have to imagine it. Just imagine what exists instead, and don't worry about what doesn't exist. At any rate, that's my philosophy :-)

Torquil
 


Some questions and many in physics have no exact answer. Nothing is zero, or as noted, an empty set. Is the color blue happy??

Is time "empty"? I do not know; is space empty...apparently it is teeming with virtual particles, so it appears it is NOT "empty". What is an "empty" temperature? absolute zero; again I don't know, but that does not exists either...

You might check "zero point energy" to get more a physicsts idea of empty space...