What is the Unit 'a.u.' and How to Convert it to SI?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter El Flea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convert Si Unit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 18K views
El Flea
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Does anyone knows what this unit "a.u" means? I found it on many graphs, where "a.u" represents the unit of |E|^2 (E represents electromagnetic field). How do I convert "a.u" to SI unit?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
El Flea said:
Does anyone knows what this unit "a.u" means? I found it on many graphs, where "a.u" represents the unit of |E|^2 (E represents electromagnetic field). How do I convert "a.u" to SI unit?
Are you sure that you have that right? a.u. usually refers to the Astronomical Unit, which is a measure of distance (I can't remember the exact conversion factor, but I'm sure its of the order of 109m).
 
I suspect it means "arbitrary unit", that is, no particular unit at all. In this case those graphs are intended to show only the relative values of E^2 at different points on the graph, without regard for the overall scale.
 
jtbell said:
I suspect it means "arbitrary unit", that is, no particular unit at all. In this case those graphs are intended to show only the relative values of E^2 at different points on the graph, without regard for the overall scale.
Well I never knew that! You learn something new every day, thanks jtbell.
 
In many journals, such as the Phys. Rev. journals, they no longer permit the use of "a.u." abbreviation. They want those figures to at least say "arb. units" or even "arbitrary units", to avoid the confusion with Astronomical Unit.

Zz.