What Is the Velocity of a Probe Released from a Moving Spaceship?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jturko
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A spaceship moves with a velocity 0.75c xhat with respect to the earth. The ship releases a probe with a velocity 0.75c yhat relative to the ship. What is the velocity of the probe as viewed on earth, magnitude and direction?

Homework Equations


The velocity-addition formulae for all three spatial directions

The Attempt at a Solution


I think that the velocity observed in the x direction of the probe will just be 0.75c, but I am having trouble wrapping my head around finding the velocity in the other directions. I know the velocity is changed due to the time dilation but cannot find the necessary equations to use. I think we are supposed to use 4-vectors
 
Physics news on Phys.org