Relative velocity with time/length contraction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relative velocity of a spaceship traveling a distance of one light year as measured from Earth in one year's time, as well as the distance and time traveled from the perspective of the pilot and an Earth-clock. The conversation includes using the Lorentz Transformation and solving for the velocity using equations with unknowns. The final answer is found to be 0.318724c, but there is a discrepancy in the equations used.
theusername8
If a spaceship travels a distance of one light year as measured from Earth in one year's time as measured from the spaceship what is the relative velocity for earth-ship. Also how far did the pilot travel according to the pilot and how long was the trip according to an earth-clock?

I found the distance of a light year. I believe that i have to use gamma as a variable to find u
but i am stuck as i don't know how to get at finding the velocity for the spaceship in order to use the time dilation and length contraction formulas.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
theusername8 said:
If a spaceship travels a distance of one light year as measured from Earth in one year's time as measured from the spaceship what is the relative velocity for earth-ship. Also how far did the pilot travel according to the pilot and how long was the trip according to an earth-clock?

I found the distance of a light year. I believe that i have to use gamma as a variable to find u
but i am stuck as i don't know how to get at finding the velocity for the spaceship in order to use the time dilation and length contraction formulas.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the distance is 1 light year as reckoned from Earth's frame of reference, what is the distance traveled as reckoned from the spaceship frame of reference (in terms of γ). What is the equation for γ? If the Earth traveled this distance (backwards) in 1 year as reckoned from the spaceship frame of reference, what was its speed?

You can also solve this using the Lorentz Transformation. Set Δx = 1 lightyear, Δt' = 1 year, and Δx'=0, and solve for the velocity.

Try it both ways, and verify that you get the same answer.

Chet

i solved for v an got .318724c. can you please confirm this. thanks

theusername8 said:
i solved for v an got .318724c. can you please confirm this. thanks
That's not what I get. Please show us your work.

Chet

okay, i used lorentz transformation:
Δx=γ(Δx'+vt) and Δt=γ(Δt'+(vΔx/c^2))
had unknowns of v and Δt so for the first equation i solved for v and got
1ly/√(Δt^2+9.94456e14)
substituted that into the other lorentz equation and got

Δt=√1/(1-(ly/√Δt^2+9.94e14)^2/3e8) * (1+(ly^2/√(Δt^2+9.94e14))/3e16)

solving for Δt yields 3.1535e7 and plugging in that back into my equation for v i got
v=.871343c

now I've used this velocity to find L'
L'=1ly(1-(.873c)^2/(3e^8)^2)^1/2
simplifying i got L'= 5.17681e15m= .547ly as measured by the pilot

now for the time dilation
T=1year(1+(.871c)^2/(3e8)^2= 1.759 years as measured by an earthclock

Last edited:
1st: There seem to be something wrong with your Lorentz transform equations. Double check that.
2nd: Do not plug in the value for c until very last step. Plugging in any data from any problem is almost always the very last step of the solution of any problem.

dauto said:
1st: There seem to be something wrong with your Lorentz transform equations. Double check that.
2nd: Do not plug in the value for c until very last step. Plugging in any data from any problem is almost always the very last step of the solution of any problem.
Yes. I agree with dauto. If you are going to use the Lorentz Transformation, you need to write it down correctly. Your first equation in post #5 is incorrect. When you correct it, that will be the only equation you need to solve this problem.

Chet

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object as observed from a different reference frame. It is the difference in velocities between two objects or points of reference moving in relation to each other.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the first object from the velocity of the second object.

3. What is the relationship between relative velocity and time?

The relationship between relative velocity and time is that as the relative velocity between two objects increases, the time between them decreases. This is known as time dilation.

4. How does length contraction affect relative velocity?

Length contraction is the phenomenon in which the length of an object appears shorter when it is moving at high speeds. This affects relative velocity by making the distance between two objects appear shorter, thus affecting the calculation of relative velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of relative velocity and time/length contraction?

Some real-life applications include understanding the effects of time dilation and length contraction in space travel, GPS systems, particle accelerators, and high-speed transportation systems. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves.