What is the word for a feeling of impending danger or warning?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 23K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
I have been asked to do such, but i am at a loss, i am not talking about love or hate or emotion, more a feeling of impending danger or a warning type feeling.
People use terms like, heart beats faster or butterflies in the stomach, but these do not fit the bill.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
with an apprehension slowly increasing until well above national average.
 
Andre said:
with an apprehension slowly increasing until well above national average.

As an example, the (cringe) feeling when some one scratches their finger nails across a blackboard.
I have never understood this or how it (feels).
 
I get flashes of warning words that pop into my head, when my intuition decides that something may be wrong. No, don't, stop.
 
wolram said:
I have been asked to do such, but i am at a loss, i am not talking about love or hate or emotion, more a feeling of impending danger or a warning type feeling.
People use terms like, heart beats faster or butterflies in the stomach, but these do not fit the bill.
Panic attack - your heart fills like it will impload and possibly a feeling of nausea and a feeling of doom and/or dread?
 
Evo said:
Panic attack - your heart fills like it will impload and possibly a feeling of nausea and a feeling of doom and/or dread?

I do not recall having a panic attack but it sounds awful, nausea and dread yes, but what does (doom) feel like?
It seems to me that words like doom name the feelings without giving a (physical) feeling to them.
 
Last edited:
Your muscles tighten. You feel cold. Your skin crawls in one massive wave of stimulus up your arms and legs?
 
- muscles tense, particularly in the neck, hands
- face scrunches up, eyes squint
- hair stands on end, goosebumps
- hair on back of neck stands up, feels like someone's looking at you
- hot/cold flash, instant sheen of sweat
- prickly skin

This last is one I definitely get - feels like I'm suddenly encased in a pincushion body suit. Worst is on hands, arms, legs, feet and scalp.
 
I always find it hard to describe the feeling I have for someone I'm attracted to.

I guess it kind of feels like a soft fruit. Maybe not as soft as a banana, but definitely it's more than a peeling. Especially when I hear that old song they used to play ("More than a peeling"). I begin dreaming... til I see Marianne walking away.

Or were they singing, "More than apealling"? I can never remember which.
 
DaveC426913 said:
- hair on back of neck stands up, feels like someone's looking at you


(Feels like some one is looking at you) is the sort of thing i am after, may be the feelings one gets as a warning, even if some times there is no danger.
How does it (feel) to be looked at.
 
wolram said:
(Feels like some one is looking at you) is the sort of thing i am after, may be the feelings one gets as a warning, even if some times there is no danger.
How does it (feel) to be looked at.
To me, it's as if my entire attention is on a spot somewhere around me, even if I'm not physically looking at that spot.

For example, if I'm expecting trouble to come to my door (literally, not just figuratively) then, even though I am currently facing away from the door, I am very aware of it. I become very conscious of my peripheral vision and my hearing. Things from those vicinities become blown out of proportion.
 
Doom? I don't know, it's the feeling I get every morning when I wake up and realize that I could have slept another hour, but know I will never get back to sleep and that I have to go to work. :frown:
 
If you want to be nerdy you could say that epinephrine is released and list off the various physiological side effects, like eye dilation, pause in glucose uptake, increased respiratory rate...
 
Your muscles tighten. You feel cold. Your skin crawls in one massive wave of stimulus up your arms and legs?

Wow, you guys have some strong feelings.
 
wolram said:
I do not recall having a panic attack but it sounds awful, nausea and dread yes, but what does (doom) feel like?
It seems to me that words like doom name the feelings without giving a (physical) feeling to them.

This is what I really think of when I think "Doom..."

http://img279.echo.cx/img279/7973/mailbag7nk.jpg

Look, he's even a Postal Worker.

Scary.
 
forboding? this is what I thought of, from your descriptions