What is this notation D|(n;n')|, and how to solve it?

• I
  • Thread starter K-Manu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, E. Hill's paper explains how to calculate the intensities of the doublet state for diatomic molecules.
K-Manu
TL;DR Summary
Meaning of the notation for calculating the intensity of diatomic molecules.
I'm a beginner in the quantum mechanic and reading E. hill's paper explaining the intensity distribution of the doublet state for diatomic molecule (D->P).
To calculate the intensities, D|(n;n')| and/or q(n,a,j;n'a',j') must be calculated, but I have never seen it before in linear algebra/quantum mechanics.
What is the notation meaning, and how to calculate it?

*D|(n;n')| is suggested to include transitions in the vibrational and electronic quantum number and n is the totality of the quantum number as mentioned in the paper.Reference
1) https://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/10.1103/PhysRev.32.250
2) https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.15.10.779

Physics news on Phys.org
These papers are from 1928 and 1929. The knowledge of the spectra of diatomic molecules has evolved a lot since then. I suggest you look at more recent resources: Herzberg's Spectra of Diatomic Molecules from 1950 is already much more modern. Another good reference is Bransden and Joachain, Physics of Atoms and Molecules.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
DrClaude said:
These papers are from 1928 and 1929. The knowledge of the spectra of diatomic molecules has evolved a lot since then. I suggest you look at more recent resources: Herzberg's Spectra of Diatomic Molecules from 1950 is already much more modern. Another good reference is Bransden and Joachain, Physics of Atoms and Molecules.
I read the books which you recommanded.
But, E. Hill is who found the ways to calculate the intensities of diatomic molecules.
Thus, I need to understand his paper, not other.
Thank you for answer.

K-Manu said:
But, E. Hill is who found the ways to calculate the intensities of diatomic molecules.
Thus, I need to understand his paper, not other.
Why? What is your end game? If it is to write a book about the historical development of this area of science, then okay. But if you are trying to understand reality as understood today, why would you burn so many of your intellectual cycles with old perspectives?

Likes DrClaude and vanhees71

1. What does the notation D|(n;n')| mean?

The notation D|(n;n')| represents the Dirac delta function, which is a mathematical function that is used to model impulse-like phenomena in physics and engineering. The "D" represents the function itself, while the values of "n" and "n'" represent the location and strength of the impulse, respectively.

2. How is D|(n;n')| different from a regular function?

The Dirac delta function is different from a regular function because it is defined as an impulse or spike at a specific point, rather than having a continuous value at all points. It is also considered a generalized function, as it cannot be evaluated at the point where the impulse occurs.

3. How do you solve for D|(n;n')|?

The Dirac delta function is not typically solved for in the traditional sense. Instead, it is used in integrals to represent an impulse or spike in the function being integrated. It can also be used in differential equations to model impulse-like behavior.

4. What are some applications of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the field of image processing to represent point-like features in an image.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Dirac delta function?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Dirac delta function. It is not a true function and cannot be evaluated at the point where the impulse occurs. It also has infinite amplitude, which can cause problems in some calculations. Additionally, it is only defined in one dimension and cannot be extended to higher dimensions.