What is this Statistical Formula Used to Calculate?

• Thread starter thenokiaguru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula found in a statistics paper and asks for help understanding it. The formula is for a two-mean hypothesis test and involves the variables x1, x2, s, and n. The person providing the summary also shares a link to a similar formula they found.
thenokiaguru
great forum, been looking at some past papers and saw this formula in a stats paper - don't know what it is. i want to know as it is used to calculate a question. please help...
its put up as an attachment...

or...

t = x1 - x2 / s (√ 1/n1 + 1/n2)

the x's are x bar

thanks in advance...

Attachments

• form.bmp
    79.4 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looked familiar, so I glanced around; it looks like the two-mean hypothesis test, where s_1 = s_2
(i.e. the formula I found for the two-mean hypothesis test was the same as yours, except the s was under the square root as s_1 and s_2 squared.)
Here:
http://www.duxbury.com/statistics_d/templates/student_resources/0534377556_woodbury/artfinal/Formulas/Formula%205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This formula appears to be the formula for calculating the t-statistic in a two-sample t-test. The t-statistic is used to determine if there is a significant difference between the means of two groups in a statistical analysis. In this formula, x1 and x2 represent the sample means of the two groups, s is the standard deviation, and n1 and n2 are the sample sizes. The t-statistic is then compared to a critical value to determine if the difference between the means is significant. I hope this helps clarify the formula for you.

Related to What is this Statistical Formula Used to Calculate?

1. What is a formula?

A formula is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between different variables and their values. It is a concise way to represent complex mathematical concepts and is often used in scientific research and calculations.

2. How do you know which formula to use?

The formula used depends on the specific problem or question being investigated. Scientists typically choose the appropriate formula based on the variables involved and the desired outcome. It is important to have a deep understanding of the topic and the principles behind the formula to accurately apply it.

3. Can formulas be changed?

Yes, formulas can be changed or modified to suit different scenarios or to incorporate new information. In some cases, scientists may even develop new formulas to better explain a phenomenon or to improve accuracy.

4. Do all formulas have the same structure?

No, formulas can have different structures depending on the type of problem they are solving. Some formulas may have a simple linear structure, while others may involve more complex mathematical functions.

5. How can I check if my formula is correct?

There are various ways to check the correctness of a formula, such as using mathematical principles to verify the relationships between variables, using experimental data to test the formula's predictions, or consulting with other experts in the field. It is also important to double-check for any errors or typos in the formula itself.