What Kind of Citrus Fruit is This?

  • Thread starter Thread starter danago
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
danago
Gold Member
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
4
What is this fruit??

My dad just came home, with his arms full of these:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7138578/Photo%20Apr%2010%2C%2012%2047%2056%20PM.jpg

(sorry about the poor quality, photo was taken with my phone)

It is obvious that it is some kind of citrus (smells, tastes and looks like like citrus), however we have no idea what specific type it is. The fruit is somewhat bitter, but it is apparently supposed to sweeten slightly as it ripens more (in conjunction with a yellowing of the skin). The person who gave them to my dad just recently bought a property with these growing on it, so he too has no idea what they are.

Does anybody know what they are?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org


Might I suggest not eating something that you don't know the identify of?
 


I have no idea, Danago. I thought I'd do a quick google search for wrinkly pears, but having the search filter on "Do filter my search results" only managed to scar me.

A guy I know said they might be some form of Etrog.

Perfection said:
Might I suggest not eating something that you don't know the identify of?

:smile:
 


They look kind of like pomelos (Chinese grapefruit) to me:

pomelo.jpg
.

Its hard to tell without a higher quality picture. At first I thought they might be kaffir limes, but the pith looks a little too thick. Little more information would help, what area are you in?
 


Perfection said:
Might I suggest not eating something that you don't know the identify of?

That would probably have been the wise thing to do :smile:

bobze said:
They look kind of like pomelos (Chinese grapefruit) to me:

pomelo.jpg
.

Its hard to tell without a higher quality picture. At first I thought they might be kaffir limes, but the pith looks a little too thick. Little more information would help, what area are you in?

This looks to the be the closest in appearance of the suggestions so far. The taste seems to fit descriptions that i have read too. As for my location, i am near Perth in Western Australia.