What kind of degree (maths or physics) is more suitable if one's objec

In summary: I would say that if you want to do research in mathematics and theoretical physics, then a physics degree is definitely the way to go, but if you're just looking to be a good mathematician or physicist, a math degree will do just fine.
phmat
maths or physics degree for theoretical physics?

In my country

1. on the one hand, I feel that BSc degrees in physics do not provide adequate mathematical
training (that is to say, you've to study nearly-all maths rigorously on your own because only 3 courses in analysis and 1 in geometry and linear algebra are offered), but offer a broad physics overview (that is to say, lots of actual physics courses) and even 2-3 theoretical physics courses (special relativity, statistical mechanics, quantum theory, non-linear physics, etc);

2. on the other hand, maths degrees provide the mathematical training but are weak when it comes to learn actual physics (there are only 2 general courses at a basic level of understanding and 2 courses in mathematical physics (mechanics)).

It is, however, possible to take some extra courses (although it is extremely difficult: for example, take special relativity and quantum mechanics as a math degree; or a couple of extra geometry courses as a physics degree. This does not provide complete math training nor complete physics training, though.

That having been said, what kind of degree (maths or physics) is more suitable if one's objective is to do good research in mathematical and theoretical physics?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical and theoretical physics is not specific enough to say. Generally, I would tend to side with physics if you want to do physics, but math would be better if you want to work on physics-inspired math, rather than physics itself.

Can you make an example of what you mean by physics-inspired math?

Topological quantum field theory, for example. That's what I studied in grad school, and it was still fairly far from physics, at least in my case. I learned a decent amount of physics, but only enough to vaguely grasp what quantum field theory had to do with what I was doing, not that I was specifically working in terms of path integrals. Probably, I would have done just as well if I hadn't known any physics--I didn't really use it explicitly, although having a basic familiarity at least the idea of Hilbert spaces and operators in quantum mechanics does provide for better motivation.

phmat said:
That having been said, what kind of degree (maths or physics) is more suitable if one's objective is to do good research in mathematical and theoretical physics?

Definitely physics, without a doubt. Most mathematics you see in a math degree isn't all that useful for physics, even theoretical physics. Sure, things like analysis, functional analysis, topology, differential geometry have their uses. But getting an intuition for physics is way more important if your intent is to do physics later. The math is the easy part of physics, the physical intuition is what is important.

Einstein was not very good at mathematics. There were many better than him, such as Hilbert, Poincare, Levi-Civita, etc. But he had an amazing physical intuition, which enabled him to be one of the greatest physicists. Other physicists are better at mathematics, but if you don't grow that physical intuition, you will never get there as a physicist, no matter how well you know your math!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obCjODeoLVw

In my own case, I sort of would have preferred to do a physics PhD, but I was afraid of all the ugly calculations and, ironically, the lack of physical intuition in physics, so I went for math and tried to work in as much physics as I could with it, but in math departments, it's rare to find people who are enough of a physicist to be suitable for such a thing, although you might luck out and find someone like John Baez in a math department to work with (unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be doing mathematical physics anymore). Also, at the time when I applied for grad school, I was more rigorous and more abstract than I am now, so it made more sense back then, in a way, but I probably would have been happier in physics because I don't care that much about complicated math, unless it's telling me something of philosophical or scientific significance that adds to my understanding of the world around me. I took a couple physics graduate classes, and they weren't bad.

What kind of degree (maths or physics) is more suitable if one's objective is to become a researcher?

Both maths and physics degrees can lead to careers in research. It ultimately depends on what specific field of research you are interested in pursuing. For example, if you want to research quantum mechanics, a physics degree would be more suitable. If you are interested in data analysis, a maths degree would be more beneficial.

Which degree (maths or physics) is more versatile in terms of job opportunities?

Both maths and physics degrees can open up a wide range of job opportunities. However, a maths degree may be more versatile as it is applicable in many industries such as finance, computer science, and engineering. Physics degrees tend to be more focused on specific fields such as research or teaching.

What are the key differences between a maths and physics degree?

The main difference between a maths and physics degree is the focus of study. Maths degrees focus on abstract concepts, logic, and problem-solving. Physics degrees focus on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Additionally, maths degrees tend to have more theoretical and abstract coursework, while physics degrees have more hands-on and experimental components.

Can one switch from a maths to a physics degree (or vice versa) during their studies?

It is possible to switch from a maths to a physics degree (or vice versa) during your studies, but it may require additional coursework or taking extra classes to catch up on the required material. It is important to consult with your academic advisor and plan accordingly if you are considering switching majors.

Which degree (maths or physics) is more challenging?

Both maths and physics degrees can be challenging, as they require strong analytical and critical thinking skills. However, the level of difficulty can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Some may find maths more challenging due to its abstract nature, while others may find physics more challenging due to its heavy use of mathematical concepts and theories.