Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A What kind of evidence do we have for extra dimenisons?

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    Despite of my attempts of trying to find the evidence pointing towards the extra dimensions many new theoretical physics theories suggest, i haven't been able to find one. Still many of the theoretical physicists seem to think that this is indeed the case - that we actually live in a universe which has many dimenisons beyond the 4 dimensions we are able to experience.

Basically all i have been able to find is that many theories in theoretical physics need them to work, which isn't very convincing argument to me.

What kind of evidence do we have for them?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is no experimental evidence. That's why these theories are still hypothetical.

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    Is there any clear referrence towards the extra dimensions, or is it all just pure guessing of theoretical physicists, in attempt to create an all explaining model to cosmology?

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have no idea what your message means, nor the reference to cosmology.

6. Oct 2, 2016 #5
    I mean, is there any reason at all why we should believe that there are extra dimensions, or are they just a random out of the box-approach by theoretical physicists in attempt to create better explaining models in physics?

7. Oct 2, 2016 #6
    The models referred to are attempts to describe a 'GUT' -a theory from which both Quantum mechanics and relativity can be reconciled.
    These models require extra dimension in order for the math to be internally consistent.
    On the other hand there is no available model at present which describes such a unified theory using just the observed dimensions.
    I agree that just being mathematically credible isn't sufficient reason to 'believe in' such models.

8. Oct 2, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Those are not different things. Theorists create models to try and better explain observations.

9. Oct 2, 2016 #8
    What things do you mean?

"Theorists create models to try and better explain observations" ofcourse, and it's good, but the thing im interrested is on how strong basis is the idea of extra dimensions currently? what is backing up that idea of extra dimensions? many people do believe them, and even call them probable, but still it seems to lack the reason to transform the concept of a dimension from spatial and time dimension with actual physical charateristics into something that seems to be just a number in equations.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Oct 2, 2016 #9

ohwilleke

Gold Member

The sole evidence for extra dimensions is that it is easier to come up with a theory that unifies gravity and the other forces and particles in an aesthetically pleasing way with an 11 dimensional theory than it is with a 4 dimensional theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted