Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of maths do i need to go into programming?

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    i work in 3d graphic actually , and new to max script anyway there such things that i faced when studying like delta, sin, atan, atan2, .................. etc and there is much more and i know nothing about this also what its name or kind of math to begin to study.
    where can i find such a resources to learn this?
    please be specific , your words could big differences for me . thanx.....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Matrices mostly. It's not very complicated but most 3D APIs are based around multiplying matrices (certainly for openGL), it also helps when you come to slightly more complicated things like quaternions

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3
    These come from trigonometry. Trigonometry is a way to relate angles and lengths. Usually it is offered as a high school course, and it is also availible at community colleges and universities. The course should take about 1 semester, ~4 months.

This means "by how much the quantity changes." A good place to learn this math is in the first year of calculus, which you can only take after trigonometry. Another good place to learn about 'delta' is in an introductory physics course.

If you look at any curriculum for a computer science major at a US university, they usually have to take calculus and intro physics, which I think is a good idea.

After these classes you will be ready to learn about the Matrices that mgb_phys mentioned, but usually this course is taught after calculus, it's called Linear Algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook