1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What lessons should you know before studying integrals?

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    so this year i've finshed limits , derivatives (that's it in cacylus)and i'd like to study integrals , ididn't study logarithms yet so idk if that's necessary, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go ahead and take a couple of days to study logs. The integrals will still be there when you get finished.
    How thoroughly did you study derivatives without knowing logs or what logarithmic differentiation was?

4. Jun 18, 2013 #3
    in my country (france), logarithms are @ last year of highschool just before integrals , that's why, i didn't learn logarithmic differentiation but i've learned most important deriv laws (l'hospital etc..), i like english books better than france ones , better exaplanation , simpler notations etc..
    i'll focus on logarithms

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

You may want to go over the e^x stuff again after learning about logs. Logs are also used when you separate variables to solve ODE's, so you really need to know them well.

6. Jun 23, 2013 #5
    I'm no expert, but don't basic integrals integrals and derivatives go together? Sure integrals are harder in general (hence the need for humongous tables), but at the basic level they are two sides of the same coin. Heck, Apostol talks about integrals for 300 pages before introducing derivatives.

7. Jun 23, 2013 #6
    lots of trig

8. Jun 23, 2013 #7

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

You should learn how to install and operate Mathematica on your computer.

An alternate option is going online and learning to purchase Gradshteyn and Ryzhik and open it to its table of contents.

:tongue:

But if you really want to do them yourself, be a master of manipulating trigonometric and hyperbolic functions. Know and understand the properties of logarithms and exponents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook