What Letter is the Circled One? - Bob

• Thread starter bobfei
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about identifying a symbol that represents the radius from a point electric source. Different possibilities, such as "tau" or "gamma", were suggested but none seemed to be an exact match. Eventually, it was suggested that the symbol could be "r" from Kuenstler Script, which was later confirmed to be a perfect match. The conversation also touched on the origins of this type of r, with some suggesting it could be from cursive writing.
bobfei
Hi,

attachment.php?attachmentid=43402&stc=1&d=1328189744.png

Could anyone tell me what letter the circled one is? I thought it might be “tau” τ or “gamma” γ, but none of the two looked exactly the same as it.

Bob

Attachments

• a_letter.png
    a_letter.png
    5 KB · Views: 718
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, though it might help to know what the symbol is meant to represent... does it correspond to [itex]\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right|[/itex]?

Looks like eta

Nytik,

Yes, exactly:
This symbol represent radius from a point electric source, and is found on page 235 of Griffiths, David J. - Introduction to Electrodynamics (3ed).

Dadface,
Looks alike, but I am not sure.

Bob

Borek,

It looks very close. I would agree with it.

Bob

That r looks like a perfect match! Now I'm wondering how Borek knew that typeface so well...

Nytik said:
That r looks like a perfect match! Now I'm wondering how Borek knew that typeface so well...

I didn't knew typeface, I knew the letter. That was just the best link with this kind of r I could find in a few minutes.

Borek said:
I didn't knew typeface, I knew the letter. That was just the best link with this kind of r I could find in a few minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperplate_script

That's the original style from which most "curly" scripts originated from.

rollcast said:
That's the original style from which most "curly" scripts originated from.

I bet this kind of r is earlier than that and came from the cursive.

Related to What Letter is the Circled One? - Bob

What Letter is the Circled One? - Bob

1. What does "circled one" refer to in this context?

The "circled one" refers to a specific letter that is encircled or highlighted in some way.

2. Is this a puzzle or a code to decipher?

It could be either, depending on the context or the intention of the person who wrote it. It could also be a simple game or a quiz question.

3. Is the circled letter a vowel or a consonant?

There is no way to know for sure without more information. It could be any letter of the alphabet, including vowels or consonants.

4. How many times does the letter appear in the word or phrase?

Again, this depends on the specific context. If the circled letter is part of a word or phrase, it could appear more than once. If it is a standalone letter, it would only appear once.

5. What is the purpose of the circled letter in this situation?

The purpose could vary greatly depending on the context. It could be part of a puzzle, a code, a game, or simply a highlight for emphasis or decoration.