What Math and Physics Textbooks Should I Use to Prepare for University?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter johngalt417
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Preparation University
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
johngalt417
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am currently enlisted in the military and have 1 year left in active duty. When I separate I plan on going to college to study physics or electrical engineering with the ultimate intention of graduate school. I haven't taken math since I took Pre-Cal in high school three years ago.

I am not sure what level of math I should be at when entering university for either of these degree programs and was wondering if you guys could recommend good texts for self study (my hours and job do not allow time for classes).

Also if you guys could recommend some physics textbooks to familiarize myself with the subject more before university I would be grateful.

Cliffnotes: - I need to know what level of math I should be at when entering University for electrical engineering or physics.
- I would appreciate some recommendations for math texts as well as physics texts to help prepare me.

Thank you guys for your time and answers
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

I was in a similar boat, no math since high school, and spent some time in the military. Any college will have you take a placement test most likely, I would recommend that you check out a website called KhanAcademy.com and familiarize yourself with Intermediate Algebra up to Precalculus, and if you are not familiar with Trig, check that out as well. I think that would suffice in getting someone up to speed to starting college at your level. I would recommend you actually take a Trig course through, I was not too happy with their coverage of the identities and problems on KA.

There are some excelent Physics books out there, and great math texts, but I would focus on getting back up to speed with mathematics as you won't really be able to take any of the physics courses without Calc I (Well, you can take calc I and phy I at the same time in some places).

If you are in the military and find yourself with some time, start knocking the silly English/Humanaties courses out of the way. You should be able to take those online at any local community college, and I believe that the active duty status should provide you with full financial aid for that. If you can get those out of the way, there will be less of a time constraint on using your GI bill when you are out. Don't use the GI bill while you are still active though!
 
Thanks, so I would be squared away with Calc 1 taken care of before university? Would this put me on track for a four year graduation? I'm sure I can secure some time for an online math class or two but I would like to supplement it with a Calculus text and could use a recommendation.

One other thing, what level of math would I have to be familiar with for intro E&M, Thermodynamics, and Mechanics? By the time I enter college I want to be as knowledgeable of basic physics as possible to make up for my age.
 
I was about six years between finishing high school math in grade 11 and taking calc I.

I didn't bother with any pre-calc courses and took a full load of first year engineering (which at my school is the same as science, plus three more courses).

The first month was a bit of a struggle, but after that I was on an even playing field with my fresh from high school classmates.

If I were to do it again, I would have spent just a couple weeks before the semester boning up on basic algebra (especially root/power rules) and trig (basic identities primarily).