1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What math should I take next year?

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    I just finished precalc and have done a little bit of studying this summer of basic calculus.

I don't know what is on the calculus ab/bc curriculum so could anyone here who has taken the class before tell me what I am missing?

Here is what I have done so far in calculus over the past month:

-limits
    l'hopitals rule

-Differentiation:
    power rule
    Chain rule
    product/quotient rule
    logarithmic differentiation
    basic trig/reciprocal functions(no arcsin or anything like that)
    implicit differentiation
    second/nth derivatives

-Integration
    u substitution
    basic trig functions
    integration by parts
    area under a curve or area bounded by curves/axes

I've also touched on optimization and concavity but haven't done much with it. Also a few easy word problems.

This probably isn't enough to take the ab or bc exam but how much more do I have to cover before I am ready?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    I've recently done calculus I from a college course (which is supposed to be like AP calculus, but I guess more indepth). Do more on optimization, as well as related rates (things like ladder problems). I'd also check out mean value theorem and finding maxima and minima.

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    Sounds like you're doing really well for self-studying. Keep up the good work!

5. Aug 25, 2010 #4
    You have covered the majority of the material on the AB exam. If you reinforce the material you have learned and even download some practice exams from the collegeboard website, you should be good to go.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook