1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What mathematical backgrounds is needed for cosmology?

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1
    Hi there!

I would like to know, what kind of mathematical background is needed for cosmology? I'm about to reach 50% of undergraduate physics and I appreciate if you could point it out some interesting courses I can take to build a strong basis for a «future» cosmology masters or phd degree.

Also good books related would be great!

I appreciate your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    You should look at the cosmology papers at your college (they will be listed in the prospectus) and see which papers are listed as pre-requisites. Those same prerequisites will have assigned and recommended reading/texts.
    Note: The ability to do this would be seen as an important requirement for doing senior undergrad/post-grad courses.

Basically: you will need to know about linear algebra, esp. tensors, and differential equations.
    Right now, online papers like:
    http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grtinypdf.pdf [Broken]
    ... should give you an idea if you want a head start.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook