What motions do quarks make in a particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of quarks in a nucleon and their orbital angular momentum. There is some controversy surrounding this topic and it is compared to the behavior of electrons in atoms. The concept of force acting on a quark is also mentioned. There are different accounts and theories on this issue.
h20 bear
I understand that they 'jitter'. Do they spin around one another or have some sort of 'orbit' in respect to each another? Is it chaotic?

Do they actually touch one another?

Physics news on Phys.org
Like electrons in atoms, they don't have trajectories.

The question for the "orbital angular momentum of quarks in a nucleon" is somewhat controversial as far as I am informed. Does anyone know something more on this issue?

I know that because quarks in neutron have different rest masses, there is a non-trivial distribution of charge around the neutron (even it has no net charge).

Dickfore said:
The question for the "orbital angular momentum of quarks in a nucleon" is somewhat controversial as far as I am informed. Does anyone know something more on this issue?
A good account more or less up-to-date is in :
Understanding the proton's spin structure

Although electrons do not orbit like planets, we can still plot electronic densities around nuclei and molecules. It is not a mere "visualization", those are almost directly the root of chemical properties. Only recently (during the last decade or so) we have been able to construct the analog for light relativistic quarks. We now can give a strict meaning to the concept of "force" acting on a quark (not just waving our hands). A more formal account of the theory behind and its subtleties is in
Angular Momentum Decomposition for an Electron

I may be shot down soon (I doesn't hurt THAT much), but I believe the gluons between the quarks move across between quark to quark, with color changes and other things going on, such that even though "on average" there are two up quarks and one down quark, or vice versa, the quarks are not actually really there in terms of being independent "objects", but rather more like a soup.

1. What are quarks and what particles do they make up?

Quarks are subatomic particles that are the building blocks of protons and neutrons. They also make up other particles, such as mesons and baryons.

2. How do quarks move within a particle?

Quarks move within a particle by exchanging gluons, which are the force carriers of the strong nuclear force. This force holds quarks together and allows them to move within the particle.

3. Do quarks move at the speed of light?

No, quarks do not move at the speed of light. They have a mass and therefore, cannot reach the speed of light. However, they do move very quickly within particles due to the strong nuclear force.

4. Can quarks move independently from one another?

No, quarks cannot move independently from one another. They are always bound together by the strong nuclear force, forming larger particles like protons and neutrons.

5. What determines the motions of quarks within a particle?

The motions of quarks within a particle are determined by the strong nuclear force and the exchange of gluons. The specific arrangement and interactions between quarks and gluons determine the overall motion of the particle.