1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What my undergrad degree(s) should be

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am currently halfway through my undergraduate in Physics, and planning to go to graduate school in 2 years or so. I initially wanted to do Astronomy as an undergrad but I was told doing Physics in undergrad is much better. This wasn't a problem because I loved and still love Physics. I'm considering either picking up an Astronomy double degree or a Mathematics double degree but i'm not sure which to pick. I finished all of differential/integral calculus and I could take some analysis classes next year, but I'm really not sure what mathematics Graduate school really wants for Astronomers (or Astrophysicists..i'm really not sure what the difference is).

I know Astronomy requires all the undergrad physics + general relativity. I studied special relatively and the mathematics were very basic.

Can anyone help me in choosing the 2nd degree?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

fss

Unless things are different in your institution, you won't be getting two degrees. You'll be getting one degree with two majors or concentrations.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

eri

If you're interested in astronomy, pick that as your second major (you're not actually getting two degrees, that would take 8 years). Most physics majors have taken all the math they need as part of that. While special relativity math is pretty easy, general relativity is an upper level graduate course. It's not an undergrad course.

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, sorry for the wrong terminology, i meant major by degree. I suppose if I do all the math required by physics, then I automatically do all the math required by Astronomy..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook