What order do you transform graphs in?

In summary, the conversation is about the order of transformations in graphs, specifically in A2 maths class. The homework statement includes equations for transforming a graph and a question that caused confusion among students. The attempted solution follows a hunch and asks for clarification on the specific graph to be transformed. The final response provides a general rule for the order of transformations, taking into account both horizontal and vertical translations.
jetwaterluffy

Homework Statement

In my A2 maths class, we were doing revision on transformations of graphs, as in:

Homework Equations

with a graph f(x)
af(x) is a stretch scale factor a in the y-direction
f(bx) is a stretch scale factor 1/b in the x-direction
f(x)+c is a translation of c in the y- direction
f(x+d) is a translation of d in the negative x- direction
anyway, back to 1. Homework Statement
When a question came up where we had to do multiple transformations, and the order in which you do them mattered, most of my class got the question wrong, and when we asked the teachers how to do it, the 3 of them consulted, and they essentially said "try out different orders until you get the right answer", which seems awfully crude and time consuming to me, so I am wondering if there is a specific order in which you can do it to get the right answer. If not, why not? (please answer within the next week, as my exam is soon!)

The Attempt at a Solution

My hunch is you do:
stretches in y,
stretches in x,
translations in y,
translations in x, but that is only a hunch and I don't actually know, so please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly was the graph that you had to transform?

The way I would do it would be how your hunch said to do it.

jetwaterluffy said:
My hunch is you do:
stretches in y,
stretches in x,
translations in y,
translations in x, but that is only a hunch and I don't actually know, so please help!
No, that's not right. For multiple translations, I would follow the "order of operations", more or less. But things get confusing when there are multiple horizontal translations. For instance, if I have a transformed function
[itex]a \cdot f(bx - c) + d[/itex],
first rewrite as
[itex]a \cdot f(b(x - c/b)) + d[/itex],
because, within the parentheses, if you have a horizontal stretch/shrink and a translation, f(bx - c) does NOT have a horizontal translation of c units, but c/b units, due to the horizontal stretch/shrink.

Starting with
[itex]f(x)[/itex],
the order of transformations would be as follows:
[itex]f(x - c/b)[/itex]
-> translation right/left c/b units,
[itex]f(b(x - c/b)) = f(bx - c)[/itex]
-> horizontal stretch/shrink by a factor of b,
[itex]a \cdot f(bx - c)[/itex]
-> vertical stretch/shrink by a factor of a, and
[itex]a \cdot f(bx - c) + d[/itex]
-> translation up/down d units.

Hope I'm not giving too much away.

rock.freak667 said:
What exactly was the graph that you had to transform?

The way I would do it would be how your hunch said to do it.
I'm looking for a general rule really, as I could be asked about it for any graph in the exam.
eumyang said:
No, that's not right. For multiple translations, I would follow the "order of operations", more or less. But things get confusing when there are multiple horizontal translations. For instance, if I have a transformed function
[itex]a \cdot f(bx - c) + d[/itex],
first rewrite as
[itex]a \cdot f(b(x - c/b)) + d[/itex],
because, within the parentheses, if you have a horizontal stretch/shrink and a translation, f(bx - c) does NOT have a horizontal translation of c units, but c/b units, due to the horizontal stretch/shrink.

Starting with
[itex]f(x)[/itex],
the order of transformations would be as follows:
[itex]f(x - c/b)[/itex]
-> translation right/left c/b units,
[itex]f(b(x - c/b)) = f(bx - c)[/itex]
-> horizontal stretch/shrink by a factor of b,
[itex]a \cdot f(bx - c)[/itex]
-> vertical stretch/shrink by a factor of a, and
[itex]a \cdot f(bx - c) + d[/itex]
-> translation up/down d units.

Hope I'm not giving too much away.
Thanks, this is really helpful.

1. What does it mean to transform a graph?

Transforming a graph means changing its position, shape, or size without altering its basic structure or data. This is done by applying specific mathematical operations to the original graph.

2. What is the correct order to transform a graph?

The correct order to transform a graph is to first translate, then reflect, and finally rotate. This is known as the TRR method, which stands for "Translate, Reflect, Rotate."

3. Why is it important to follow a specific order when transforming graphs?

Following a specific order when transforming graphs ensures that the final result is accurate and consistent. If the order is not followed, the transformed graph may not accurately represent the data and could lead to incorrect conclusions.

4. Can you transform a graph in any order?

No, it is important to follow a specific order when transforming graphs. Otherwise, the final result may not accurately represent the data and could lead to incorrect conclusions.

5. Are there any exceptions to the TRR method of transforming graphs?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the TRR method. One example is when reflecting across the y-axis, the order of rotation and reflection can be switched without affecting the final result. However, it is generally recommended to follow the TRR method for consistency.