1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric graph transformation

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Transform the following equation:

X2sin(3x)

1. Stretch vertically by a factor 9
    2. Stretch horizontally by a factor 3
    3. Shift to the left by a value of 1.

2. The attempt at a solution
    1. Stretching vertically by a factor 9 gives:

9x2sin(3x)

2. Stretching vertically by factor 3 is done by dividing 3x by 3, so I get

9x2sin(x)

3. Shifting one to the left gives (I think I am going wrong here):

9(x+1)2sin(x+1)

Which can be simplified into:

(9x2+18x+9)sin(x+1)

But this answer is wrong. Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You do not have an equation; an equation has an "=" sign in it, and your expression does not. What you have is a function of x.

I think the problem should be restated as follows. For the graph ##y = x^2 \sin 3x##:
    1. Stretch the graph vertically by a factor of 9.
    2. Stretch the graph horizontally by a factor of 3.
    3. Shift the graph to the left by 1 unit.

Your solution of 1 is correct: the stretched graph is ##y = 9 x^2 \sin 3x.##

For 2: think about it: a point such as ##(k,y(k))## moves to ##(3k,y(k))## in the stretched graph, so if the old graph is ##y = f(x)## and the new graph is ##y = F(x)##, you can see how ##F(x)## must be related to the function ##f(x)##. You have it partly right, but not completely right.

For 3: a point ##(k,f(k)## in the old graph moves to ##(k-1, f(k)## in the new graph. From that, you can get the equation ##y = F(x)## of the new graph in terms of the old graph ##y = f(x).##

4. Mar 9, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree complete with what Ray already said: you do not have an equation here.
    You should have an equation here. Specifically, ##y = 9x^2 \sin(3x)##.
    Again, this should be an equation. Also, you wrote "stretching vertically by a factor 3" -- the stretch is supposed to be horizontally by a factor of 3. You need to be working with ##y=x^2\sin(3x)##
    Should be an equation. Start with ##y = x^2\sin(3x)##, and shift it to the left by 1 unit.
    Aside from being incorrect, you didn't really simplify it by expanding ##(x + 1)^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted