What range of frequencies can be generated by blood flow

In summary, the conversation discusses using passive sensing of sound waves in the human body, particularly through the natural sound created by blood flow. The topic of calculating frequency ranges and using natural heartbeats to detect sound waves is also mentioned. However, it is suggested that the focus should be on brain function rather than blood flow. The conversation also touches on the idea of creating something similar to an ultrasound sonar using sounds in the body, such as the sound of a heartbeat. It is also noted that the sound of a heartbeat is caused by turbulent flow within the heart.
tarek1984
hi

i was trying to prepare for a project based on passive sensing of sound waves
By using natural sound created naturally by blood flow may be turbulence flow of blood in blood vessels

So i want to know how to calculate the frequency ranges which can be generated in the human body

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all I think you should rephrase your question, it sounds a bit odd. Are you trying to produce sound by the blood flow in the body which allows a person to sense heart beat? Or are you trying to use the natural heart beat that creates blood flow to detect sound waves?

From a very macro point of view, the frequency can easily be the beats per second of your heart. Thus the range would naturally be the maximum known heart rate to the minimum known heart rate of a human being which can be very confusing.

Increased rush of blood to the extremities of the body allows increased brain activity by releasing chemicals in the brain e.g. Endorphins; which might cause the detection of sound waves appear to be lower in frequency. For example, try listening to music when you have just woken up in comparison to listening to the same piece after running 3 km. You would sense a slight difference in the tempo of the sound due to the BRAIN ACTIVITY rather than the flood of blood in the vessels.

As for a more detailed example you would have to resort to hemodynamics - a study of the blood flow in the body. However, the turbulence of blood in a human body has nothing to do with the sense of sound, rather to increase the brain activity by sending more blood to the head. Therefore your project should focus on brain function rather than blood.

Sorry my quistion was not clear.I am tring to make something like ultrasound sonar but uses sounds created in the body .Heart beat is about 2Hz or grater but not in the audo rang but you can lesten to this sound.I think that this sound is created by the flow of blood

Interesting question- AFAIK, the sound you hear from a heartbeat is from the turbulent flow within the heart (as well as the valves opening and closing) during filling and ejection. Thinking about it, I'm not sure why we can hear the sound of air going into and out our lungs during a breath!

1. What is the range of frequencies that can be generated by blood flow?

The range of frequencies generated by blood flow can vary greatly depending on the location and conditions of the flow. In general, the frequencies can range from 1-10 Hz for arterial blood flow and 10-100 Hz for venous blood flow.

2. How is blood flow frequency measured?

Blood flow frequency can be measured using various methods such as Doppler ultrasound, laser Doppler flowmetry, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). These techniques use different principles to detect and measure the frequency of blood flow.

3. Can blood flow frequencies be used for diagnostic purposes?

Yes, blood flow frequencies can be used for diagnostic purposes. Changes in the frequency and pattern of blood flow can provide valuable information about the health of blood vessels, heart function, and other conditions related to blood flow.

4. What factors can affect the frequency of blood flow?

Several factors can affect the frequency of blood flow, including the diameter and elasticity of blood vessels, the viscosity and velocity of blood, and the cardiac output. Health conditions such as atherosclerosis and hypertension can also impact blood flow frequencies.

5. Are there any potential applications of blood flow frequencies in medical research?

Yes, blood flow frequencies can have various applications in medical research. They can be used to study the effects of different medications, exercise, and other interventions on blood flow. They can also be used to develop new diagnostic tools and treatments for cardiovascular diseases.