What research could/should be done with an unlimited budget?

In summary, science fiction often explores the possibilities of unconstrained scientific research, which has inspired many individuals to pursue careers in the field. However, the reality is that research is always limited by funding constraints, even in "black" projects. While it may be interesting to speculate about what could be achieved with an unlimited budget, the practicality of such speculation is questionable. Despite this, many believe that an unlimited budget could have a significant impact on popular science and potentially inspire a new generation of scientists.
shipoftheseus
Science fiction often (really, almost always) deals with the possibilities of scientific research that is not constrained by funding requirements. I was inspired to pursue my career from reading and watching these stories, and of course learned a long time ago that this is not realistic. Having recently begun a PhD in Materials Science I have become even more aware of how money limits the directions in which research can move. Granted, quite a few discoveries have been made in an attempt to get around budgetary limitations or a lack of ideal materials, but I think it is interesting to speculate about what could be done in our Universities and laboratories if costs were negligible to non-existent (but everything was grounded in our current understanding of reality, i.e. no speculative physics).

Some ideas:
Fusion energy
Massive solar arrays
Spaceflights (Mars and beyond)
Truly huge supercomputers (although the speed of light/information throughout the computer could be a real problem)
Space elevators
Space catapults

I am hoping that some people with academic or laboratory research careers under their belts can contribute stories about funding limiting their work. I still have a little idealism and I hope I can be inspired!

Physics news on Phys.org
Research budget limitations are a functional reality.
There is no way to get around this.

Even "black" projects are budget constrained(possibly modified with "success" but still constrained.

As such, in my opinion, an "unlimited" budget is non-sensical.

Speculation with an unlimted budget serves no useful purpose, as there will always be a budget cap, modified or not.

While there are many novel ideas as to which this inexhaustible funding could be used, I think its most attractive point would be its impact on popular science.

The space race begot a generation of scientists - we need another mammoth scale project to do the same.

Question 1: What is the benefit of having an unlimited budget for research?

An unlimited budget for research allows scientists to explore more complex and ambitious research topics without being limited by financial constraints. This can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in various fields.

Question 2: Can an unlimited budget guarantee successful results in research?

While an unlimited budget can certainly increase the chances of success in research, it does not guarantee it. Success in research also depends on factors such as the expertise of the researchers, the availability of resources, and the nature of the research topic.

Question 3: What types of research can be conducted with an unlimited budget?

An unlimited budget opens up the possibilities for a wide range of research, including but not limited to, basic science research, medical research, environmental research, and technological research. It also allows for interdisciplinary collaborations and multi-faceted approaches to complex problems.

Question 4: How can an unlimited budget impact the scientific community?

An unlimited budget can have a significant impact on the scientific community by fostering collaboration, promoting competition, and encouraging innovation. It can also attract top researchers and provide them with the necessary resources to conduct high-quality research.

Question 5: Are there any ethical considerations when conducting research with an unlimited budget?

Yes, there are ethical considerations that need to be taken into account when conducting research with an unlimited budget. These include ensuring the safety and well-being of research participants, considering the potential consequences of the research, and adhering to ethical guidelines and regulations set by governing bodies.