Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What role did math play in WWII

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    Hello, i have a research paper to do on WWII and i thought it might be interesting to do one on the importance of math in WWII however the only thing that i can really thing of that they used it for (strictly math not math that went into the calculations for projectiles or the chem/physics that they used to develop new weapons) is cryptology and the whole enigma code cracking so does anyone have anymore suggestions? are there any good books or sources out there? and do you think that there is enough info to write a 5 page paper on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Radar?

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_Research" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Apr 4, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The science (and math) behind cascading nuclear reactions was a big player.

6. Apr 4, 2010 #5
    counting ...

7. Apr 4, 2010 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ballistics.

8. Apr 4, 2010 #7
    Counting how many Nazi's you killed!

. . . . Gratzi.

9. Apr 4, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Google on Heddy Lamarr. The technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to be implemented until the 1950s, but that was pretty advanced stuff for the time. Hint: it involves making communications for radio-controlled torpedoes resistant to jamming.

10. Apr 4, 2010 #9
    - Adolf Hitler sucked at maths
    - Churchil sucket at maths
    - Stalin sucket at maths
    - Mussolini sucked at maths
    - Isenhower sucked at maths

Now, all the people that opposed the entire war and expansion drift prominently:

- Russell excelled at maths
    - Einstein excelled at maths
    - Gödel excelled at maths

I wonder if this correlation implies some causation between being for instance bad at let's say.. statistics and adding of dead soldiers to your slate and being a totalitarian dictator who enjoys starting wars without any good justification that the odds of winning are so much above 50% that even when you win it pays off netto against all the resources you expended on getting there.

11. Apr 4, 2010 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Thank you so much for the totally unhelpful post. If I ask a question here, please do not bother to "help" me with a reply.

12. Apr 4, 2010 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On the other front of the war, the US cracking of the Japanese code resulted in the US de-coding Japanese transmissions faster than the Japanese could (this may be urban legend but the code was thoroughly destroyed before pearl harbor even)

Radar is also an excellent suggestion. Radar played a huge role in the Battle of Britain and the smaller RAF's ability to pinpoint their defenses against the Luftwaffe

13. Apr 4, 2010 #12
    Do you mean like the effects it had at different distances or how the radiation spread with wind/ current effects or something else entirley?

14. Apr 4, 2010 #13
  15. Apr 4, 2010 #14
    buy technique i meant equation, sorry.

16. Apr 4, 2010 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Re: nuclear reactions, bomb yields were a big theoretical question - thus the tests.

17. Apr 4, 2010 #16
    The first weapon test must have been an extremely nerve racking time. not knowing exactly what would happen!

18. Apr 4, 2010 #17
    I just googled hedy lamarr... she must be the best looking engineer out there :) very surprised to see such a beautiful woman inventing techniques for advance torpedoes and then acting on top of it.

19. Apr 4, 2010 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Hot and smart, too!!

20. Apr 4, 2010 #19
    With the calculations for artillery the method of "Time on target" was developed by the US shortly before WW2. It involves several different gun batteries synchronizing there fire so all the shells land at the same time.

Also it is more of a design note but the Germans had some scary accurate optical range finders in there tanks. Also again somewhat of a design thing but the fire control systems of the Iowa class battle ships were an impressive array of optical range finders, radar range finders, and electrical mechanical computers.

21. Apr 4, 2010 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That too, but I think lisab was referring to the modeling of the nuclear reactions/explosions themselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook