What Sci-Fi Got Wrong: Alcohol in Space

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sci-fi
In summary, while many details in sci-fi movies are wrong, I do think that the idea of people and aliens pouring brandy in space ships will be wrong. I also think that we will lose many of our traits that no longer become useful, and that before that happens, people will start self engineering themselves and merging with technology.
Melbourne Guy said:
I wish I had your extrasensory powers of perception,
It shouldn't take paranormal powers to recognise that that particular movie was going to be a stinker!

• Skeptical
Likes Melbourne Guy
Physics news on Phys.org
This scene from 2010 drove me nuts the first time that I saw it:

italicus said:
The name of the spacecraft driven by Ian Solo was Millennium Falcon (1977, first movie)
1633526682842.png

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, BillTre, italicus and 1 other person
There are other ships faster than the Millenium Falcon , here are 8 at least:
star-wars-ships-faster-than-millennium-falcon

One of them is this :

USS Planet Express Ship.
That ship, referred to as Old Bessie by the Professor, features an artificial intelligence system that has its own personality and communicates with the crew. It used to run on dark matter, supplied to the Professor by Lord Nibbler, which allowed the ship to travel at incredible speeds -- 4,870,000,000,000 times the speed of light. Now, it runs on whale oil. Interestingly, though, the ship is inanimate. In fact, it doesn't actually move, but rather moves the universe around it via the Dark Matter Accelerator.

It moves the universe via the Dark Matter Accelerator: enough interesting!

I’d have some of that whale oil.

Last edited:
I removed the inappropriate subdiscussion. I wanted to let you know whom to blame.

Likes DaveC426913 and Bystander
Borg said:
This scene from 2010 drove me nuts the first time that I saw it:

Why?

Ivan Seeking said:
Why?
Pretty sloppy sound editing, for one.

Ivan Seeking said:
Why?
Because the ship is rotating away from them.

Likes Hornbein
italicus said:
And what about Star Wars? All people breathing the same air on all celestial bodies, without breathing apparatus.
gravity always the same, as on Earth, in fact they walk the same way. The Eagle (was this the name of the spacecraft ?) often jumping into hyperspace .
Anything else?
Star Wars is fantasy, not SF - you know, save the princess from the dark lord’s castle with a magic sword

Likes fresh_42
Borg said:
Because the ship is rotating away from them.
You mean because they wrongly "walk down the side" of the rotating Discovery as if they were in a parallel gravity field (like climbing down a vertical rock on Earth) or are you referring to something else? There is also the mysterious rotation "vanishing" occurring twice after the tether between them has induced a rotation on John.

Filip Larsen said:
You mean because they wrongly "walk down the side" of the rotating Discovery as if they were in a parallel gravity field (like climbing down a vertical rock on Earth) or are you referring to something else? There is also the mysterious rotation "vanishing" occurring twice after the tether between them has induced a rotation on John.
When the get to the end of the ship they complain they can't breathe because the artificial gravity is crushing them. But such gravity should be negative.

Hornbein said:
When the get to the end of the ship they complain they can't breathe because the artificial gravity is crushing them.
John (who plays Dr. Curnow) complains he can't breathe and someone on the radio say its because "he is hyperventilating". They pause and he calms down enough to start breathing normally. I don't hear or recall anyone saying anything about being crushed by artificial gravity.

Likes DaveC426913 and phinds
Filip Larsen said:
No, I mean that the ship is rotating away. They should end up free floating in space until the other end of the ship comes around and hits them.

Borg said:
No, I mean that the ship is rotating away. They should end up free floating in space until the other end of the ship comes around and hits them.

This is what you're thinking.
1633709884674.png

I think you have to account for the fact that they've been imparted with a small transverse velocity component which will skew the net force.
1633710039866.png

But I think someone (else) should do a proper free body diagram.

Where exactly are the forces on the person coming from in your diagram? If the person is on the other side of the ship, the ship pushes on them and they experience a force. Nothing is pushing on them when they're on the back side of the rotation.

Borg said:
Where exactly are the forces on the person coming from in your diagram? If the person is on the other side of the ship, the ship pushes on them and they experience a force. Nothing is pushing on them when they're on the back side of the rotation.
Yeah. I'm looking at "spinning disc" simulations and noting in which direction the net forces act.

1633710673395.png

The transverse force on them is to pull them away from the ship (left diagram). As you say: negative g's.

1633710807378.png

"Path of ball" shows what the ball is doing in free fall, from the carousel's POV. It's pulling away against the carousel spin.

So, you're right.

But I'm not sure it's a fault in the film. I don't think the intention of the narrative was to suggest that they were being crushed against the ship.

Borg said:
We are talking about the same thing then.

However, they are attached with a line (and not free falling) and while we don't see exactly where the line is attached it is is showing with a clear angle with respect to the spaceship on the shots we do get to see, meaning it likely is attached or clamped to the side of the ship somewhere "above" them but "below" the center of rotation, and in that case there should be a small acceleration towards the side of the ship as long as they keep their radial velocity low. I'm too lazy right now to estimate how much angle they need to keep their boot soles in static friction against the ship side and I'm also pretty sure the director and movie crew wasn't thinking through such arguments when setting up for the shots.

Filip Larsen said:
I'm also pretty sure the director and movie crew wasn't thinking through such arguments when setting up for the shots.
There's the rub.

The first film is famous for its technical accuracy.

Likes Filip Larsen
DaveC426913 said:
Indeed. I only remember they clearly missed to portray proper physics (at least to first order) in the scene with the small moon shuttle where outside shot shows the shuttle in free fall while inside shots show crew move around as if in near-normal gravity, and another obvious slip on the moon base meeting where the photographer clearly moves in Earth and not moon gravity. On the other hand the mind blowing scenes with sitting and running crew in the rotating ring onboard Discovery (considering it was from 1968) more than compensates for those mistakes. :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
There's the rub.

You are ignoring their magnetic shoes.

Don't forget that in the future, your are also going to FTL communications across the universe. So of course you've got quantum entangled particles that are spilt so they can transmit data instantly.

Not scifi, but honorable mention to Anderson Consulting (now accenture) for the TV advertisements promising a "Quantum" Leap in technology by using their services.

Imager said:
"Quantum" Leap
That's been so wrongly used in so many contexts that surely it is now an acceptable anti-meaning? To whit, lay people think it means a huge leap, and just look baffled if you try and explain why it is anything but!

Likes Imager and DaveC426913
Melbourne Guy said:
That's been so wrongly used in so many contexts that surely it is now an acceptable anti-meaning? To whit, lay people think it means a huge leap, and just look baffled if you try and explain why it is anything but!

Correct, I tried to explain one time without success.