1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I do for graduate school?

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    I am a senior about to finish my undergraduate degree in physics (with a minor in CS). Lately though I have been really debating whether or not I should continue in physics and get a PhD. I like physics, but I'm not sure if I want to spend 6-7 years getting a degree. I'm also not sure which branch of physics I want to pursue.

Recently I have been strongly considering going to graduate school to get a masters degree in engineering. I am particularly looking at Electrical or Computer Engineering.

My GRE scores are 800 math, 730 verbal, and 5.0 writing, and my GPA is 3.6, so I should be able to get into a decent school. I haven't taken the physics GRE yet.

I would appreciate any advice related to physics graduate school vs. engineering graduate school, and anything else I might not have considered. I would also appreciate any suggestions about which engineering disciplines to consider.

Also if anyone else has transitioned from physics to engineering I would appreciate learning what the procedure is regarding classes you may not have had and if there are any classes I could take next semester If I decide to go engineering in order to make the transition easier?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not consider fields of physics that have a very large engineering component to it? Accelerator physics, device/instrumentation physics, etc. are physics areas that are very heavy on engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook