What should I do? I am sooo indecisive

• Thread starter Physics_UG
  • Start date
In summary, the individual graduated with a dual degree in electrical engineering and physics in 2008 and went on to pursue a PhD in electrical engineering, but left after a year due to conflicts within the research group. They then took a year leave of absence and considered various options, such as going to medical school, pursuing an MBA, or going back to grad school for medical physics. Ultimately, they are considering going back for a bachelor's in mechanical engineering to work in the aerospace industry. However, they are unsure of their path and are also considering finding a job in industry or joining the military. It seems that there may be other underlying factors causing uncertainty and hesitation in their decision-making process.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I graduated with a dual degree in electrical engineering and physics in 2008 (took me 5 yrs). Then I went to graduate school (PhD) in electrical engineering from 2008-2009. I didn't like the research I was doing and I was in a conflict with one of the students in me research group (long story), so I left after a year. I took a year leave of absence (2009-2010) and tried to find a job in industry but I couldn't find anything. Granted, I didn't look THAT hard since I had my heart set on going back to grad school and finishing my PhD (to a different research group). Well, I went back to grad school in the Fall 2010 to a theory group. I didn't like theory very much (sitting in front of a computer all day) and I wasn't getting along with my roommate (well, we got along but I didn't like his partying habits...he would bring lots of people over to the apartment at like 2am and whatnot). I wasn't happy in general so I left grad school again. Now I am back at home living with my parents.

Now I don't know what to do. I have wrestled around with some various ideas. Should I go to med school (I took two semesters of general chemistry with labs and two semesters of orgo chem with lab so to meet pre-med reqs I would only need to take a couple semesters of bio + labs)? I'm not even sure if my gpa is good enough for med school (~3.45). This would take 4 more yrs (plus a year to satisfy premed reqs) and ~3 yrs of residency. Plus I'd be going into ~100K more debt.

Should I get an MBA? I have read that this isn't a good idea since MBAs are more meaningful when you have some experience before going into the program. This will take ~2 yrs + ~40K more debt.

Should I go to grad school for medical physics? I could do either a masters or a PhD. This is a path that is somewhat intriguing to me but it would be a lot of debt and time, like the above options.

The idea I am most fond of is going back for a bachelor's in mechanical engineering (at my alma mater and I could start in January). This would require about 50 more credits and would cost about 43K more. It will take about 2 years to complete full time. I could do mechanical engineering internships in the summers or while going to school. The reason I would like to do this is because I want to work in the aerospace industry doing CFD work or maybe working on aerospace control systems (perhaps at boeing or another aerospace company). I would take aerospace technical electives and whatnot. I think I would build a model rocket with a control system that ensures the rocket travels straight up for my senior project. This would utilize my EE background as well. My dad could help me since he is big time into high powered model rocketry. This idea excites me because I would be an undergraduate again which I thoroughly enjoy. I might even join an engineering fraternity this time around which might improve my social life. The first time through school I was fairly anti-social.

What should I do with my life? Should I just try and find a job in industry and forget about going to school? I have been looking for a job for some time now and I haven't been having much luck. I would like to stay in Michigan if at all possible.

Also, I want to work in a field that would require a PE license. I have taken the FE exam and I want to work in a field that would give me appropriate experience under a PE in order to take the PE exam.

Sorry if I seem to me rambling on and on.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my opinion, and just mine: don't go back for another undergraduate degree. You have two already and quite honestly, if you're going into industry or graduate school, as long as what you're doing is somewhat related to what you studied in school, it won't matter what your B.S. was in.

Quite honestly, I'd suggest working in industry for a little while. You don't have to totally forget about grad school. Let THEM pay for your schooling when the time is right, that way you won't have to worry about a massive debt. As far as MBA or M.S or Ph.D, that depends entirely on what you want to do. To speak very generally: MBA sets you up for a management position; M.S. sets you up for research & development.

Another option, although it's definitely not for everyone, is the military. The Air Force has some neat opportunities for physicists and engineers and might be a good fit if you like rocketry/aerospace stuff. It would be worthwhile to at least look at their job offerings (I mean officer positions, not enlisted). They also pay for higher degrees (in fact, if you stay with them, they expect you to have at least a master's degree by the time you reach a certain rank, I think colonel).

If you like rocketry, have you considered studying fuels/propulsion/energetic materials? Something like plasma propulsion might really appeal to you.

Honestly, to me it sounds like there's something else that's bothering you. The beginning of Fall 2010 was really only a few weeks ago and already you're giving in? I can understand difficult roommate issues (I've certainly had my share), but that's not really related to your educational path - if your roommate situation isn't working out you can always move.

I'm not telling you to stick with something if you really know it's not for you, but sometimes with these things you have to give them a chance. Reading your original post, it sounds like you want to go back to undergrad because that's familiar, like you want to remain in some kind of Undergraduate Never-Never Land. But the real question is what more are you going to get out of it? Four years down the road you would be in the same position you are now - maybe with a cool model rocket and another $40k worth of debt. (Although, why can't you build something like that with your Dad on weekends?)

If grad school really isn't working out (and I'd give it at least six months to know for sure), then start networking. Go to career fairs, trade shows, conventions and conferences in fields you're interested in and start talking to engineers or physicists that are doing the kind of work that you think you would find interesting. See if you can job-shadow someone or do an internship if you want to test out a given field.

I hope this helps.

coming from industry myself, i am inclined to say give industry a try. you have not given industry (where your degrees can work for you) a chance, and you are considering...med school? it does not make sense to me, that is quite the leap. industry i hurting for decent electrical engineers (trust me, i work with them every day and know more with far less debt), and getting a backing (even if just for a few years) will aid you if you DO decide to go the Aerospace rout.

in regard to DDTea's post, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find industries which will pay for your schooling these days. most of the ones that do are union shops, and frequently the engineers (salaried employees) are not covered under union contracts with are more likely to contain continued education/reeducation programs.

it is MY personal opinion that without spending at least a few years in industry you cannot make an intelligent decision on this matter. do NOT fall into the "change is bad" or "change is scary" trap. take a chance on something new on the path you are already on, let your education work for you and who know, u might end up working with industrial electricians like me that like to keep things new and exciting and find better ways to do everything.

DDTea said:
This is my opinion, and just mine: don't go back for another undergraduate degree. You have two already and quite honestly, if you're going into industry or graduate school, as long as what you're doing is somewhat related to what you studied in school, it won't matter what your B.S. was in.

Quite honestly, I'd suggest working in industry for a little while. You don't have to totally forget about grad school. Let THEM pay for your schooling when the time is right, that way you won't have to worry about a massive debt. As far as MBA or M.S or Ph.D, that depends entirely on what you want to do. To speak very generally: MBA sets you up for a management position; M.S. sets you up for research & development.

Another option, although it's definitely not for everyone, is the military. The Air Force has some neat opportunities for physicists and engineers and might be a good fit if you like rocketry/aerospace stuff. It would be worthwhile to at least look at their job offerings (I mean officer positions, not enlisted). They also pay for higher degrees (in fact, if you stay with them, they expect you to have at least a master's degree by the time you reach a certain rank, I think colonel).

If you like rocketry, have you considered studying fuels/propulsion/energetic materials? Something like plasma propulsion might really appeal to you.

The military sounds cool but I don't think I could get through OCS. And getting an employer to pay for school sounds nice but most don't pay for your school anymore.

Choppy said:
Honestly, to me it sounds like there's something else that's bothering you. The beginning of Fall 2010 was really only a few weeks ago and already you're giving in? I can understand difficult roommate issues (I've certainly had my share), but that's not really related to your educational path - if your roommate situation isn't working out you can always move.

I'm not telling you to stick with something if you really know it's not for you, but sometimes with these things you have to give them a chance. Reading your original post, it sounds like you want to go back to undergrad because that's familiar, like you want to remain in some kind of Undergraduate Never-Never Land. But the real question is what more are you going to get out of it? Four years down the road you would be in the same position you are now - maybe with a cool model rocket and another $40k worth of debt. (Although, why can't you build something like that with your Dad on weekends?)

If grad school really isn't working out (and I'd give it at least six months to know for sure), then start networking. Go to career fairs, trade shows, conventions and conferences in fields you're interested in and start talking to engineers or physicists that are doing the kind of work that you think you would find interesting. See if you can job-shadow someone or do an internship if you want to test out a given field.

I hope this helps.

I didn't leave ONLY because of roommate issues. I left mainly because I didn't like the research I was doing. I don't want to sit in front of lines of computer code 10 hours/day.

And what more will I get out of 2 more years (not 4) of undergrad? A mechanical engineering degree and a lot more knowledge of engineering which would open a lot of doors for me.

Thanks for your input everyone.

now I have an interview at Intel at the other side of the country. I am considering not even going. I am afraid I will move out there and end up quitting just like I did grad school...or I'll have some kind of breakdown like the first time I was at grad school.

Last edited:
Physics_UG said:
The idea I am most fond of is going back for a bachelor's in mechanical engineering (at my alma mater and I could start in January)...This idea excites me because I would be an undergraduate again which I thoroughly enjoy. I might even join an engineering fraternity this time around which might improve my social life. The first time through school I was fairly anti-social.

if you didn't like your research groups, why didn't you try to find another research group, such as one in ME, rather than drop out? It makes no sense to go back for a BSME. If you want to get into ME, why not just do a MS instead? Is it because you want to re-live your undergrad experience? Theres other steps you can take to improve your social life without having to become an undergrad again.

Physics_UG said:
now I have an interview at Intel at the other side of the country. I am considering not even going. I am afraid I will move out there and end up quitting just like I did grad school...or I'll have some kind of breakdown like the first time I was at grad school.

you can't not do something because you are afraid of something that has not happened. you encounter people that are intolerable everywhere you go, at some point you have to tell them to piss off and get on with life. the sooner you can learn to ignore aggravating people and discomforting situations is to put yourself into them and say 'hey, this is what i can do, this is what i enjoy doing, you are not going to ruin it for me because your mother didn't love you.' the only reason to stop doing something that you have trained for is you flat out do not enjoy the line of work. if that is the case then you have learned and can move on. take that interview at Intel, if you don't like what they have to say then don't take the position. you never know if you don't go. don't tip toe around saying what if this and what if that...just do it.

sparkey said:
you can't not do something because you are afraid of something that has not happened. you encounter people that are intolerable everywhere you go, at some point you have to tell them to piss off and get on with life. the sooner you can learn to ignore aggravating people and discomforting situations is to put yourself into them and say 'hey, this is what i can do, this is what i enjoy doing, you are not going to ruin it for me because your mother didn't love you.' the only reason to stop doing something that you have trained for is you flat out do not enjoy the line of work. if that is the case then you have learned and can move on. take that interview at Intel, if you don't like what they have to say then don't take the position. you never know if you don't go. don't tip toe around saying what if this and what if that...just do it.

Thanks Sparkey. I will do the interview. A primary problem is my parents don't want me to go. They are afraid I will end up having another breakdown out there and I will end up back in Michigan. I also can't afford to move out there if I got a job out there, unless they cover relocation costs.

Physics_UG said:
I also can't afford to move out there if I got a job out there, unless they cover relocation costs.
If you get chosen for the job, I'm pretty sure you could negotiate with them to cover the relocation costs, and perhaps take a smaller salary or less benefits for a year to offset those costs. I'm not saying move there, I'm just saying it won't be the relocation costs that are going to hold you back.

So I talked to the mechanical engineering department chair and he seems to think getting another degree in mechanical engineering is a good idea...hmmm...but he might be a bit biased.

1. What is the best way to make a decision?

The best way to make a decision is to gather all the necessary information, weigh the pros and cons, consider your values and priorities, and trust your instincts.

2. How do I know if I am making the right decision?

It's important to remember that there is no one "right" decision. What may be the best choice for one person may not be the best for another. Instead of trying to make the perfect decision, focus on making the best decision for yourself based on the information and priorities you have.

3. What if I make the wrong decision?

Making a wrong decision is a possibility, but it's also a chance to learn and grow. If you do make a decision that doesn't turn out as expected, reflect on what went wrong and use that knowledge to make better decisions in the future.

4. How do I overcome my indecisiveness?

Indecisiveness can be caused by fear, lack of information, or conflicting priorities. To overcome it, try to identify the root cause and address it. If it's fear, remind yourself that it's okay to make mistakes. If it's lack of information, do some research. If it's conflicting priorities, try to prioritize what's most important to you.

5. Is it better to make a decision quickly or take my time?

It's important to find a balance between making a decision quickly and taking your time. Rushing into a decision without proper consideration can lead to regret, but taking too much time can lead to missed opportunities. Trust your gut and try to find a happy medium between the two.