What should I do? References for PhD

In summary, the individual is seeking PhD/CDT positions and has one reference who is a prominent professor and another who is highly recognized but has not responded to their requests for a recommendation letter. They are unsure of what to do and are worried about the impact on their postgrad choices. They are considering contacting the universities and changing their reference to their current Master's supervisor, but also mention the importance of having a letter from someone who knows them well. They may also try to call the professor personally to get confirmation.
Teek
Hi all,

I'm currently applying for PhD/CDT positions, and I have one reference who is a great Professor who like has his own significant theorem and let's me know when they've come and tells me to pester him to send them. The other is an Professor in America (I'm in the UK) whose obscenely recognised in his field and a reference from him would be quite useful, and he said he would do it, but I haven't heard anything back from him, despite the number of emails I have sent him just to confirm that he received it or anything. I know he must be busy, but its been a while since he has last replied and I'm starting to worry that I won't hear back from my postgrad choices until ages away and I kind of want to know as soon as possible so I can start arranging things and making decisions, which I am incredibly bad at and take ages on. Should I ring up the unis I have applied to and get them to change the reference to, say my current Master's supervisor who will promptly send one? or should I keep emailing the Professor abroad? or should I just wait. I feel like I might end up with no offers simply because he can't be bothered to let me know or at least send them. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
That can be very stressful when you have no confirmation that someone is going to write a reference letter.

If this professor said he would do it, it's fine to phone the university and speak with him personally. Some people don't check email all that regularly, or maybe for whatever reason your emails are going into his junk box. It's also possible that he's away or something more pressing has come up. A phone call will alleviate a lot of stress.

The other thing is that not having a letter from your current supervisor might be a flag. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but people on admissions committees will generally want to assess the degree to which your references know you. It's likely to come across more in your favour to have a letter from a professor who is moderately known, but knows you well and had assessed your performance over a long period of time, than a well-known professor who you haven't worked with as much.

Likes Teek

1. What is the first step in pursuing a PhD?

The first step in pursuing a PhD is to identify your research interests and find a suitable program or university that aligns with those interests. This may involve researching different programs, speaking with professors or current students, and considering the location and funding options.

2. How do I choose a research topic for my PhD?

Choosing a research topic for your PhD can be a daunting task, but it is important to select a topic that you are passionate about and that has potential for contribution to your field. You can start by brainstorming ideas, discussing with your advisor or mentors, and reading current literature to identify gaps in knowledge.

3. What is the timeline for completing a PhD?

The timeline for completing a PhD can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-7 years to complete a PhD. It is important to discuss expectations and timelines with your advisor and stay organized and on track with your research and coursework.

4. How do I find references for my PhD research?

Finding references for your PhD research can involve a combination of methods, including conducting literature reviews, attending conferences, networking with other researchers, and utilizing online databases. It is important to keep track of your sources and properly cite them in your research.

5. What are the job prospects after completing a PhD?

The job prospects after completing a PhD can vary depending on your field of study and the current job market. Many PhD graduates go on to work in academia, research institutions, or industry. It is important to network and gain relevant experience during your PhD program to increase your chances of securing a job after graduation.