What should i expect in physics in college?

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between college physics and AP Physics, specifically for a biochemistry major. The speaker states that general physics courses in college are similar to AP Physics in high school, but more advanced physics courses for a physics major would be more in depth. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a neuroscience major instead of biochemistry.
lodovico
First off, sorry for wrong location of post. I am wondering what kind of stuff you guys do in college physics. Is it similar to AP Physics? What should I expect in the Biochemistry Major, I was looking at the suggested courses on my future college's website and I think it was something like Gen. Physics I in soph. year and Gen. Physics II in jr. year

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you refine your question a little bit?

Last edited:
lodovico said:
... Is it similar to AP Physics? ...

AP Physics B or C?

As a biochem major taking general physics I and II I would expect it to be very similar to high school AP physics. At least it was like that in my university. Now, if you were to take more advanced physics major courses, then obviously they would be much more in depth.

Yea I'm in physics C now

Say my major could be neuroscience or biochem

1. What is the difficulty level of physics in college?

The difficulty level of physics in college can vary depending on the individual and their academic background. However, in general, physics in college is considered to be more challenging than high school physics. It requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to complex problems.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to do well in physics?

Yes, having a strong math background is crucial for success in physics in college. Many of the concepts in physics are based on mathematical equations, and without a solid foundation in math, it can be difficult to understand and apply these concepts.

3. Will I need to take a lot of lab classes in physics?

Yes, most physics courses in college will have a lab component where students will have the opportunity to apply the theoretical concepts they learn in class. These labs are important for developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking physics in college?

In most cases, students will need to have taken high school physics and have a strong foundation in math before taking physics in college. Some colleges may also require students to have taken specific math courses, such as calculus, before enrolling in physics courses.

5. What career opportunities are available with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, education, and technology. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields.