What should I look for when shopping for a router?

• Thread starter APool555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Router
In summary, to have internet access in another room, you will need a router. It is recommended to get a wireless router for convenience and future use. If you choose a wired network, you will need a regular router and Ethernet cables. For a wireless network, you will need a wireless network card for each computer. When shopping for a router, look for type G or B/G for wireless. To secure your network, use WPA TKIP-Preshared keys, disable SSID broadcasts, and use MAC filters.
APool555
I'm planning to move my computer into another room so that means I will need a router to have internet access. My dad's computer is in the same room with mine right now and we have a cable connecting are computers so I can get Internet. What should I look for when shopping for a router. I'm completely unfamilar with it. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wireless! Even for a desktop, running a cable through the walls or through the floor is a pain. And you will surely be moving your box once in a while so not having to take the location of your connection into account is pretty nice. The router will also have regular connectors so that one of the PCs can still be plugged in if it is next to the router. The other can use a wireless card, but they are not so expensive. Even if you want both computers to remain wired in, you should get a wireless router for the future, for your friend's notebook and what not.

How do you have it now? Is it like this?

DSL or Cable modem -> Your Computer -> His Computer

Your network should be something like this:

DSL or Cable modem -> Router => Computers

dduardo said:
How do you have it now? Is it like this?

DSL or Cable modem -> Your Computer -> His Computer

Your network should be something like this:

DSL or Cable modem -> Router => Computers

His computer is connected to the cable modem. My computer is connected to his via a CAT cable(I believe that is what it's called.)

Orefa said:
Wireless! Even for a desktop, running a cable through the walls or through the floor is a pain. And you will surely be moving your box once in a while so not having to take the location of your connection into account is pretty nice. The router will also have regular connectors so that one of the PCs can still be plugged in if it is next to the router. The other can use a wireless card, but they are not so expensive. Even if you want both computers to remain wired in, you should get a wireless router for the future, for your friend's notebook and what not.

If my dad is connected to the cable modem, you should have the wireless router? Is there something else you would need as well? You mentioned a wireless card.

If you want a wireless network then you need to hook up the cable modem to the wireless router. Then in each computer you would need a wireless card.

If you do a wired network you need to hook up the cable modem to a regular router. Then connect two ethernet cables to the router and have each cable going to a different computer's ethernet card.

APool555 said:
If my dad is connected to the cable modem, you should have the wireless router?
No, the router (wireless or not) will be connected directly to the cable modem, then each computer will link to the router.

APool555 said:
Is there something else you would need as well? You mentioned a wireless card.
The link to each computer can use a wire so the network card plugs directly into it, or it can be wireless in which case each computer that uses this particular connection method needs a wireless network card. The network can have a mix of wired and wireless connections. Wireless routers are no longer much more expensive than the non-wireless types and they also have connectors for network cables. So unless you are very budget conscious I suggest getting a wireless even if you will still connect directly with a wire at first. Later (or now) you can also purchase a wireless network card for your PC. If you buy a new laptop then the wireless card will already be built in so you will appreciate the convenience. Same thing with that future wireless network printer next Christmas.

Look for type G (or type B/G) in the wireless. At the low end of the price scale you may find B-only hardware that is rather outdated since it is slower.

Thanks for clearing things up guys. I appreciate your help.

If you get wireless make sure to secure your network.

Here is a picture so you can get a better idea of how the network is setup. The configuration on the right is wireless and the configuration on the left is wired. Lines with arrows mean there is a physical wire connecting two things.

Attachments

• network.png
    network.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Yah, I suggest if you get a wireless, to use WPA TKIP-Preshared keys, disable SSID broadcasts, and use mac filters as security precautions. My laptop is picking up one of my neighbors wireless routers that is unsecure.

Related to What should I look for when shopping for a router?

1. What is the range of the router?

The range of a router refers to the distance it can transmit a wireless signal. This is an important factor to consider when shopping for a router, especially if you have a large home or office space. A router with a longer range will be able to provide a stronger and more consistent signal throughout your space.

2. How many devices can the router support?

The number of devices a router can support is known as its bandwidth. This is an important consideration if you have multiple devices that will be connected to the router, such as smartphones, laptops, and smart home devices. Look for a router with a higher bandwidth to ensure all of your devices can connect without experiencing slow internet speeds.

3. What is the speed of the router?

The speed of a router is measured in megabits per second (Mbps) and refers to the maximum data transfer rate it can support. This is important to consider if you do a lot of online gaming, streaming, or other activities that require a fast and stable internet connection. Look for a router with a higher speed to ensure a smooth and reliable internet experience.

4. Does the router have advanced security features?

With the increasing number of cyber threats, it is important to choose a router with advanced security features. Look for routers that offer features like built-in firewalls, WPA3 encryption, and the ability to set up a guest network. These features can help protect your personal information and keep your network secure.

5. What is the price range for a good router?

The price range for routers can vary greatly depending on the features and brand. Generally, a good quality router can range from $50 to $200. It is important to assess your needs and budget when shopping for a router and choose one that offers the best value for your specific requirements.