What should I work on next? (Introductory Mechanics)

In summary, the student is considering whether to focus on gravitation and simple harmonic motion, review topics that they are not confident about, or focus on concepts that they missed while taking the class. The student recommends resources like Khan, Openstax.org physics book, Veritaseum, Smarter Everyday, MinutePhysics, and numberphile.
InternalEase
I have taken AP Physics C: Mechanics during this past semester. Due to COVID-19 my teacher decided to not teach us the last unit that usually covered gravitation and simple harmonic motion since it was not going to be on the AP exam. For this reason I will be taking intro mechanics again in college but during the summer I am stuck on what topics to learn or review. Although I did fine in the class, I didn't work as consistently as I wanted to and therefore certain topics in intro mechanics I am not as comfortable with. I will be majoring in physics so I want to make sure that I am comfortable with the fundamentals.

Should I just focus on gravitation and simple harmonic motion considering that it would be reasonable to cover that material during the rest of the summer, or should I try to just review the various topics that I do not feel confident about. Since I am taking intro mechanics again I could just use the time during the upcoming semester to fill in the holes and pay proper attention, but I'm not exactly sure what would be a good use of my time currently.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not look back on your tests, quizzes and problem sets for where you got it wrong? and review those. You could use the Openstax.org physics book as a study base.

You could also explore those topics that were missed as they will eventually get studied somewhere sometime.

Another area would be to review your Calculus as so much of physics is based on Calculus.

There's Khan and MathIsPower4U.com as some good math resources and Khan for physics.

For extra credit on Youtube, check out Veritaseum, Smarter Everyday, MinutePhysics and other related sites notably 3blue1brown and numberphile for some conceptual understanding of math and science.

Likes InternalEase

1. What is the purpose of studying introductory mechanics?

Introductory mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of objects. It provides a foundation for understanding more complex concepts in physics and is essential for many fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics.

2. What are the key topics covered in introductory mechanics?

Some of the key topics covered in introductory mechanics include kinematics (the study of motion), Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, and rotational motion. These concepts help to explain the behavior of objects in motion and how forces affect their motion.

3. How can I improve my understanding of introductory mechanics?

To improve your understanding of introductory mechanics, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, discussing concepts with peers or a tutor, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online videos. It is also helpful to make connections between the concepts and real-world examples to deepen your understanding.

4. What are some common challenges students face in introductory mechanics?

Some common challenges students face in introductory mechanics include understanding and applying mathematical equations, visualizing and interpreting motion and forces, and making connections between different concepts. It is important to seek help and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in introductory mechanics to real-world situations?

The concepts learned in introductory mechanics have many practical applications in everyday life. For example, understanding the principles of motion and forces can help in designing structures, predicting the behavior of objects in motion, and even in sports and fitness. By making connections between the concepts and real-world situations, you can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for introductory mechanics.