What should I write for my curriculum vitae?

• Thread starter JordanGo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curriculum
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's desire to do research with a professor, but lacks experience in this area. The professor has requested a transcript and CV, and it is recommended to include information that is not on the transcript and to express passion for the subject in a short cover letter. The student is advised to be honest and seek advice from other research assistants or grad students.
JordanGo
I am currently in my 3rd year of physics and I wanted to do some research with a professor. I have emailed him and he said that I need to provide him with a transcript and a cv. But I have no experience doing research at all. So what do I include in the cv?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything about yourself that you think is important and not in the transcript.
The prof will realize that you have little or no experience.
You may want to say how passionate you are for the subject, and why, in a short covering letter. Be precise.

I know it's scary. It's best to be honest and take the consequences.
Best advise will come from the profs other research assistants or grad students.

Ok, that's sounds like a plan, thank you so much for the great advice!

Good luck :)

First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative to reach out to a professor and express interest in research! This is a great step towards furthering your academic and scientific career.

When it comes to writing your curriculum vitae (CV), it is important to highlight your academic achievements and relevant experiences. In your case, since you do not have any research experience, you can focus on your academic coursework and any relevant skills you have acquired through your studies.

Start by including your personal information such as your name, contact information, and education. Be sure to include your current year in your physics program and any relevant courses you have taken. You can also mention any academic awards or honors you have received.

Next, include any relevant skills you have acquired through your studies or other experiences. This can include technical skills such as programming languages or laboratory techniques, as well as soft skills like communication and teamwork.

Even though you do not have research experience, you can still include any projects or assignments you have completed that demonstrate your ability to conduct research, analyze data, or think critically. This could include a research paper you wrote for a class or a presentation you gave on a scientific topic.

Additionally, you can include any extracurricular activities or volunteer work that demonstrate your passion for science and your ability to take on new challenges.

Lastly, do not forget to proofread your CV and make sure it is well-organized and visually appealing. This will help make a good first impression on the professor and showcase your attention to detail.

Overall, while it is understandable to feel intimidated by the task of writing a CV with no research experience, remember that your academic achievements and relevant skills can still make a strong case for your potential as a researcher. Good luck with your application and future research endeavors!

1. What information should I include in my curriculum vitae?

In your curriculum vitae, you should include your personal information, educational background, work experience, skills, and any relevant achievements or certifications. It is also helpful to include any relevant references or publications.

2. How long should my curriculum vitae be?

A curriculum vitae should typically be no longer than two pages. It should be concise and relevant to the position you are applying for. If you have extensive experience, you can consider creating a longer CV, but only include information that is directly related to the job.

3. Should I include a photo in my curriculum vitae?

It is not necessary to include a photo in your curriculum vitae. In some countries, it is common practice to include a photo, but in others, it may be considered unprofessional. Unless specifically requested by the employer, it is best to leave out a photo.

4. How should I format my curriculum vitae?

Your curriculum vitae should be well-organized and easy to read. Use a standard font, such as Times New Roman or Arial, and a font size between 10 and 12 points. Use headings and bullet points to break up the text and make it more visually appealing. Make sure to proofread for any spelling or grammatical errors.

5. Is it necessary to tailor my curriculum vitae for each job application?

Yes, it is important to tailor your curriculum vitae for each job application. This means highlighting the most relevant skills and experiences that match the job requirements. It may also involve rearranging the order of information to prioritize what is most important for the specific job. This shows the employer that you have taken the time to understand the job and are a good fit for the position.