1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should i write in this essay prompt ?

1. Dec 21, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone
    I am applying to University of Michigan. There is prompt in the application that is giving me some hard time so I need some suggestion from anyone who is willing to help me.
    Essay prompt :

Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

I was thinking I can write about my experience in a NGO for example i can tell about how I help to change the lives of the underprivileged children and how they helped me to overcome my social anxiety disorder.

You can provide me your suggestions.
    Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You could start by using the "Everyone belongs to... " sentence and then list the communities that you belong to and then go into describing the NGO community in particular, describing your role in it, how it helps others and the benefits you receive in return.

4. Dec 21, 2015 #3
    Thanks for helping me.

5. Dec 21, 2015 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It sounds like you have a very valid experience and something interesting to write about. Just write down fast without thinking too much, about these experiences. Then afterwards you can think about introducing, some final conclusions drawn, improving the style and leaving out stuff that when you look at it you might think wouldn't matter too to much to anybody else. In other words polishing. You haven't mentioned a word limit but chances are that you have to think more about what to leave out than put in. I hope you have time to get somebody else perhaps us to read it, and to be able to put it aside and come back yourself to read it 'cold'.

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Also you can run your essay against the hemingway editor to streamline your writing.

http://www.hemingwayapp.com

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  7. Dec 22, 2015 #6
    250 words limit .

8. Dec 22, 2015 #7
    Can i post my to you application essay privately. (I don't want to post it online before application submission.)

9. Dec 22, 2015 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, there is a facility for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook