What textbook covers advanced topics in EM for photonics research?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
xmavidis
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
"Life" after Griffiths EM

Hi,

I need a textbook on electrodynamics. I have already finished Griffiths electrodynamics, a wonderful book but it does not cover the things I need now from an EM book (i.e. research on photonics).

Therefore, I need a book which covers the mathematical methods on EM problems (eg. expansion on Bessel functions, Green functions, etc) and also be strong on the conseptual concepts of EM.

I am an undergraduate planning to apply next fall to grad school.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is precisely what you ask for! You may also want to take a look at Classical Electromagnetic Theory by Vanderlinde (at a slightly lower level).
 


A non-Jackson book I like is Schwinger's Classical Electrodynamics book.
 


nicksauce said:
A non-Jackson book I like is Schwinger's Classical Electrodynamics book.

I like it...short chapters that cover one subject and allow for the digestion of the material.
 


Thank you for your responses.
Just got Jackson's electrodynamics.