What the following statement exactly mean?

• Thread starter lee.spi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, a topological space is a set M with a distinguished collection of subsets, called the topology, which must satisfy certain axioms. This topology can be completely arbitrary and is what determines the open sets in the topological space. Examples of topologies include the indiscrete space and the Sierpinski topological space. Any element of the topology is considered an open set.
lee.spi
what the following statement exactly mean :"A topological space is a set M with a distinguished collection of subsets,to be called the open sets".and I don't understand the meaning of "distinguished collection ".it's better have some example.thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that in order to give a topological space, you need to give two pieces of information:

1) First, you need to give an underlying set ##X##
2) Secondly, you need to give a set ##\mathcal{T}## which consist of subsets of ##X##. This set ##\mathcal{T}## is called the topology. It can be completely arbitrary, but it does need to satisfy the axioms of a topological space.

For example,
1) I give you the set ##X=\mathbb{R}##
2) I give the topology ##\mathcal{T} = \{\emptyset,\mathbb{R}\}##.
These two pieces of data specify a topological space, called an indiscrete space.

Other example:
1) I give you the set ##X=\{0,1\}##
2) I give the topology ##\mathcal{T} = \{\emptyset,\{0,1\},\{0\}\}##
These two pieces of data specify the Sierpinski topological space.

Obviously, not everything will be a topological space. For example
1) I give you ##X=\{0,1,2\}##
2) I give you ##\mathcal{T} = \{\emptyset, \{0,1,2\}, \{0,1\}, \{1,2\}\}##
These are again two pieces of data, but they do not specify a topological space because ##\mathcal{T}## does not satisfy the axioms. Indeed, ##\{0,1\}\cap\{1,2\} = \{1\}## is not in ##\mathcal{T}##.

Likes 1 person
both “a distinguished collection of subsets”and “to be called the open sets” refer to the set T ?

lee.spi said:
both “a distinguished collection of subsets”and “to be called the open sets” refer to the set T ?

Yes, ##\mathcal{T}## is the "distinguished collection of subsets". Any element of ##\mathcal{T}## is by definition an open set.

micromass said:
Yes, ##\mathcal{T}## is the "distinguished collection of subsets". Any element of ##\mathcal{T}## is by definition an open set.

now i understand,thanks

1. What does the following statement exactly mean?

The meaning of a statement depends on the context in which it is used. Without context, a statement can have multiple interpretations. It is important to consider the source and purpose of the statement in order to accurately understand its meaning.

2. How do I interpret the following statement?

Interpreting a statement involves understanding its meaning and context. Start by breaking the statement down into smaller parts and considering the definitions of the words used. Then, analyze the context in which it is being used to gain a better understanding of its intended meaning.

3. Can you provide an example of the following statement?

Providing an example of a statement can help to clarify its meaning. It is important to choose an example that accurately represents the statement and its intended meaning. Ask for clarification if the example is not clear or does not align with your understanding.

4. Is there a specific way to determine the meaning of the following statement?

The meaning of a statement is not always clear and can be subjective. However, there are some strategies that can help to determine its meaning, such as analyzing the context, considering the source and purpose, and asking for clarification. It is also important to be open to different interpretations and perspectives.

5. How can I use the following statement in my own work?

Using a statement in your own work requires a thorough understanding of its meaning and how it relates to your topic or research. Consider how the statement aligns with your own ideas and arguments, and use it to support or challenge your perspective. Be sure to properly cite the source of the statement in your work.