Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What the following statement exactly mean?

1. Mar 18, 2014 #1
    what the following statement exactly mean :"A topological space is a set M with a distinguished collection of subsets,to be called the open sets".and I don't understand the meaning of "distinguished collection ".it's better have some example.thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It means that in order to give a topological space, you need to give two pieces of information:

1) First, you need to give an underlying set ##X##
    2) Secondly, you need to give a set ##\mathcal{T}## which consist of subsets of ##X##. This set ##\mathcal{T}## is called the topology. It can be completely arbitrary, but it does need to satisfy the axioms of a topological space.

For example,
    1) I give you the set ##X=\mathbb{R}##
    2) I give the topology ##\mathcal{T} = \{\emptyset,\mathbb{R}\}##.
    These two pieces of data specify a topological space, called an indiscrete space.

Other example:
    1) I give you the set ##X=\{0,1\}##
    2) I give the topology ##\mathcal{T} = \{\emptyset,\{0,1\},\{0\}\}##
    These two pieces of data specify the Sierpinski topological space.

Obviously, not everything will be a topological space. For example
    1) I give you ##X=\{0,1,2\}##
    2) I give you ##\mathcal{T} = \{\emptyset, \{0,1,2\}, \{0,1\}, \{1,2\}\}##
    These are again two pieces of data, but they do not specify a topological space because ##\mathcal{T}## does not satisfy the axioms. Indeed, ##\{0,1\}\cap\{1,2\} = \{1\}## is not in ##\mathcal{T}##.

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3
    both “a distinguished collection of subsets”and “to be called the open sets” refer to the set T ?

5. Mar 19, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, ##\mathcal{T}## is the "distinguished collection of subsets". Any element of ##\mathcal{T}## is by definition an open set.

6. Mar 19, 2014 #5
    now i understand,thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook