Closed Subsets in a Toplogical space ....

In summary, Peter is reading Sasho Kalajdzievski's book and is struggling to understand the definition of a closed set in a topological space. He asks for help from others and is grateful for the clarification provided.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I have a very basic question about whether closed subsets of a topological space ##(X, \tau)## that are not clopen belong to the space ... I suspect that they do not ...
I am reading Sasho Kalajdzievski's book: "An Illustrated Introduction to Topology and Homotopy" and am currently focused on Chapter 3: Topological Spaces: Definitions and Examples ... ...

I need some help in order to fully understand Kalajdzievski's definition of a closed set in a topological space ...The relevant text reads as follows:
K - Defn of a Closed Subset of a Toplogical Space ... .png

As I understand it many closed subsets of the underlying set ##X## of a topological space ##(X, \tau)## do not belong to the topological space because they are not open ... i.e. they are not clopen sets ...

Is my interpretation of the above situation correct ... ... ?Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

==================================================================================It may help readers of the above post to have available Kalajdzievski's definition of a topological space ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:
K - Defn of a Topological Space ... .png
Hope that helps ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. ##\tau## is the collection of open sets, so saying a set ##U## is in ##\tau## means exactly that ##U## is open.

Likes Math Amateur
Just point out that it is not clear what you are asking. A subset, which is not open, doesn't belong to the topology of the psace, but in a sense it belongs to the space, after all it is a subset.

Likes Math Amateur and suremarc
Peter, I think you are confusing the two statements: "a set U belongs to [is a subset of] the topological space X" and "a set U belongs to the topology defining the topological space X". there are many sub sets of a topological space, some open, some closed, some both, some neither. the ones that are open are the ones that belong to "the topology". i.e. a subset U of X is open if and only if U belongs to "the topology of X". "The topology" of X is the collectionmof those subsets that are open in X. You are advised to study this for the special case of metric spaces.

Likes Math Amateur and fresh_42
Thanks to suremarc and martinbn ... appreciate your help ...

Particular thank you to mathwonk ... yes, I was confused in exactly that way ... thanks so much for clarifying the issue ...

Peter

What is a closed subset in a topological space?

A closed subset in a topological space is a subset of the space that contains all of its limit points. This means that every sequence in the subset will converge to a point within the subset.

How is a closed subset different from an open subset?

A closed subset contains all of its limit points, while an open subset does not. This means that a closed subset is "closed off" from the rest of the space, while an open subset is "open" and connected to other parts of the space.

Can a subset be both open and closed?

Yes, in some topological spaces, a subset can be both open and closed. This is known as a clopen subset. An example of this is the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1, which is both open and closed in the real line.

How are closed subsets related to continuity?

A function is continuous if and only if the preimage of every closed set is also closed. This means that a function is continuous if it preserves closed subsets. In other words, if a subset is closed in the domain, it will also be closed in the range.

Can a closed subset be empty?

Yes, a closed subset can be empty. An example of this is the empty set in any topological space. The empty set contains no limit points, so it is vacuously closed.