What to do in my last 3 semesters before grad school in physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Artius
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hey all! I'm a little lost as to what I should get done in my last three semesters of college. I do plan on going to grad school and will take the GRE next spring, but I currently have no idea as to what else I should be getting done to prepare. I have passing interest in materials science and condensed matter physics, but I haven't taken any formal courses in the subject area yet so I'm not sure if I would want to pursue that path.

GPA: 3.54
Research Experience: None, any REU recommendations related to materials science would be much appreciated


Relevant Courses lined up so far for next semester:
Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics
Intro to Polymer Physics
<Math Elective>
Lab Safety Certification
Experimental Physics II

Science and math courses I will have completed by the end of this semester:

Physics I -> III + Relevant labs
Relativity
Quantum Physics (Griffiths)
Electromagnetism (Griffiths)
Classical Mechanics
Experimental Physics I

Calculus I - III
Ordinary Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Probability I

Python
Matlab
General Chemistry I & II

Misc: Member of my school's local physics club, joined APS

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


On the NSF website there is a list of REU programs for every subject so you could check that. They have plenty of materials science and physics with condensed matter. But it seems to me that the list might be out of date, so you can always just search the web to find more.