What to do when not accepted into graduate school?

In summary: You might want to try targeting specific labs instead. In summary, the person is struggling to find a job that will take a BS in physics and is unsure of what to do next.
tmbrwlf730
Hi everyone. I've heard back from 2 programs I applied to and both have rejected me for the program. My GPA is low so I understand that is one thing that kicked me out of the running. If I don't get accepted into any program I'm not sure what to do. I know I could always apply next year but that's a whole year I'm waiting to start a program.

I go to an out of state college and after I graduate this summer I won't be able to afford to continue going there due to exhausting the allowed credit hours of financial aid. I'm going to have to go to the university in my home town. Anyway I had the idea of applying as a non-degree seeking student then trying to transfer my credits into a program within that university. The fall back on this is that I can only transfer 9 credit hours, so that's one semester, then I assume I'll have to go through the same application process as everyone else. That means the spring semester won't be able to transfer due to the transfer credit limit.

I really did not want to spend another year trying to bring up my GPA with undergraduate courses. Does anyone else have advice on what to do if you're not accepted into a graduate program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find a job? After you finished graduate school, presumably you were going to look for a job, right? Why not start now?

Why do you want to go to graduate school? What are you even majoring in? Physics?

Arsenic&Lace said:
Why do you want to go to graduate school? What are you even majoring in? Physics?

I've reached the end of my undergraduate career. I am majoring in physics and applied math. I've been looking for jobs that will take a BS in physics but everything I find wants at least a master's degree.

Since you're in the US, look into internships for physicists at the DOE and different national labs. That should help you on top of acing the GRE's and/or taking graduate courses as a degree seeking student, if not more. Also try befriending faculty and getting some volunteer research experience at a local department if you can, it's what I am trying to do.

I'm in a similar situation though I am waitlisted at one place. I've also had similar disheartening experience looking for STEM jobs with a physics degree, a bachelors just isn't enough apparently. Unless you were of the rare few that got lots of demonstrable hands on experience with very specific lab techniques, electronics, optics and such or managed to procure good connections.

Last edited:
Lavabug said:
Since you're in the US, look into internships for physicists at the DOE and different national labs. That should help you on top of acing the GRE's and/or taking graduate courses as a degree seeking student, if not more. Also try befriending faculty and getting some volunteer research experience at a local department if you can, it's what I am trying to do.

I'm in a similar situation though I am waitlisted at one place. I've also had similar disheartening experience looking for STEM jobs with a physics degree, a bachelors just isn't enough apparently. Unless you were of the rare few that got lots of demonstrable hands on experience with very specific lab techniques, electronics, optics and such or managed to procure good connections.

The internship is a very good idea I did not think of. Thank you for that input.

It should be mentioned that internships at national labs are tougher to get into than graduate school (grad students apply to them and it isn't a guarantee).

1. What are some reasons for not being accepted into graduate school?

There can be a variety of reasons for not being accepted into graduate school. These can include a low undergraduate GPA, lack of research experience, poor letters of recommendation, or a competitive applicant pool.

2. Should I reapply to the same graduate program if I was not accepted?

It ultimately depends on the specific program and your personal circumstances. If you have addressed any weaknesses in your application and have improved your qualifications, it may be worth reapplying. However, it is also important to consider other programs and explore different options.

3. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

There are several ways to improve your chances of being accepted into graduate school. These include gaining research experience, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and studying for and retaking standardized tests if necessary. It is also important to carefully craft your personal statement and ensure that your application is well-rounded.

4. Are there any alternative options if I am not accepted into graduate school?

Yes, there are alternative options if you are not accepted into graduate school. You can consider applying to different programs, taking a gap year to gain relevant experience, or pursuing a post-baccalaureate program. You can also speak with an advisor or mentor for personalized advice.

5. Should I take a break from applying to graduate school if I am not accepted?

It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Taking a break can allow you to gain valuable experience and strengthen your application. However, if you feel ready and have addressed any weaknesses in your previous application, it may be worth applying again in the next admissions cycle.