What to Do With TV Projector Optics?

Summary
Got some high quality lenses. hat can I do with them?
Summary: Got some high quality lenses. hat can I do with them?

I acquired some high quality optics from a projector style TV that I took apart for it's mirror and a few other things.

I got some high quality lenses though.

I'm interested in astronomy and physics demonstrations because it gets people interested in physics.

Is there anything fun I can do with them?

They have holes for mounting and adjust slightly for calibration while they were in the TV.

I believe I can stack them using a threaded rod going between them, although this may have questionable benefits (If at all).

20190727_135413.jpg
20190727_135537.jpg

jrmichler

Science Advisor
Diameter and focal length?

Tell the students where they came from, then let them experiment. Magnifying glass, solar concentrator (start a fire), telescope, ??? Merely finding (first hand!) that a lens from a piece of high tech equipment can be used as a magnifying glass is a useful learning experience.

256bits

Gold Member
Summary: Got some high quality lenses. hat can I do with them?
I have some also so what use are they I don't know. Right now I am using one as a clumsy way to see some small stuff like fine print and my fingers and fingerprints.
Shine a flashlight through them to illuminate a large section of the wall.
Try a lamp ( flashlight ) with multiple LED's and try to get a focus on a wall.

You should know that the complete assembly has, for cooling, a fluid inside - mono ethylene glycol - consistency near that of water, and I think somewhat non-toxic. If you have not done that already, there is a particular way to take them apart to drain the fluid, otherwise it gets messy. Your picture looks as if that back part closest to the crt has had that step of disassembly already accomplished.