1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to expect from my class Theoretical Physics 1 ?

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    What to expect from my class "Theoretical Physics 1"?

I'm starting my major in physics this fall and I'm taking multivariable calculus, mechanics, E & M, and theoretical physics 1.

I pretty much know what to expect from the other 3.

But I'm going into this class "theoretical physics" quite blind.

What is the emphasis of this course, what topics are touched on, is it mostly mathematically based in forming mathematical models for physical phenomenons.

Danke.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: What to expect from my class "Theoretical Physics 1"?

What does the course catalog say about the class?

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3

We have that in my Uni too. I'm no physics major but I read our catalog. It seems to me it's like a Math Methods course.

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think one cannot determine what one school means by "Theoretical Physics I" by looking at another school's course catalog.

6. Aug 12, 2009 #5

That's true. So to OP, that's merely an idea on another school's "Theoretical Physics I". It may or may not be the same.

7. Aug 12, 2009 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Especially when they're possibly in different countries!

I understand that many people want to protect their privacy and therefore don't want to give any clues about where they're located, but they have to understand that this seriously affects the ability of other people to give useful advice in many situations.

8. Aug 12, 2009 #7

Landau

Science Advisor

I don't understand these questions anyway.
    How can anybody but people from your university answer this question? All we get is a course title "Theoretical Physics 1", and you ask us what the emphasis of the course is?

Of course, there is a description of the course in your study guide/course catalog/whatever it is called. How else are students expected to know which courses to choose?

9. Aug 29, 2009 #8

You should probably consult your physics professor... of course youve probably gotten it all figured out by now though..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook