What to expect from my Mechanics freshmen class

In summary, the speaker is a physics major who has high standards for their understanding of physics. Despite taking AP physics in high school, they feel they did not learn enough and are retaking the course in college. They want to be able to solve 99% of all freshmen level mechanics problems by deeply understanding the concepts, not just by practicing a lot. The advice given is to focus on concepts rather than just doing practice problems, as university courses are faster paced. The speaker also mentions that they may encounter very difficult problems in their freshman mechanics class.
xdrgnh
I'm going to be starting my first year in college soon as a physics Major and I have very high standards when it comes to physics. Last year I took AP physics C Mechanics and E@M, the problem was that I had 10 other classes in high school so I couldn't devote proper time to physics. So I noticed that I wasn't able to solve every freshmen level Mechanics problem I came across and this made me feel inadequate in mechanics. Despite getting a good grade in the class and on the AP exam I feel I didn't learn enough that's why I am retaking mechanics and E@M in college. After my mechanics class I want to be able to solve 99% of all freshmen level problems that just require knowledge in mechanics. Is this level of expectation to high or ideal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends what you mean by "be able to solve." If you mean you want to practice enough problems that you'll have seen something similar to every freshman physics problem (which tends to be what "be able to solve" means when you're in high school), then that's probably not going to help you very much. If by "be able to solve" you mean you want to understand the concepts deeply enough that you're able to tackle a completely new type of problem you've never seen before (at a freshman level) then that's a good goal. You probably should be able to solve most of the problems thrown at you, but it shouldn't be just because you've done enough problems already that you know what to do. What really tests your ability is if you can use what you know to solve something you've never seen before. That's something that gets stressed a lot more in university than in high school. For that reason, it may help to take a freshman mechanics course to help you attain that sort of problem-solving mindset. However, don't get lulled into thinking that you're always going to have that much time to solidify concepts in your brain. Most of university is going to be much quicker paced than high school, which is one reason that it's so important to focus on concepts rather than just doing loads of practice problems.

I want to be able to solve problems using the "If by "be able to solve" you mean you want to understand the concepts deeply enough that you're able to tackle a completely new type of problem you've never seen before (at a freshman level) then that's a good goal." definition. Thanks a lot for the advice.

You're probably going to get hit by some seriously difficult problems. I still have never been able to solve one of the "three dot" problems from Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics (these being the most challenging). That might say something about me, or it might say something about your freshman intro physics class. I'll let you be the judge - just know that I came out of both my intro physics classes with B's, half the class dropped, and only a few people got A's.

I understand your high standards and desire to excel in physics. However, it is important to keep in mind that college courses, especially in a subject like physics, are designed to challenge and push students to their limits. While it is admirable that you want to be able to solve 99% of all freshmen level Mechanics problems, it may not be a realistic expectation.

College courses are designed to be more rigorous and in-depth compared to high school courses. Therefore, it is possible that you may come across new and more complex problems in your Mechanics class that you may not have encountered before. It is also important to remember that a good grade in a class or on an exam does not necessarily mean that you have fully mastered the material. There is always room for improvement and further understanding.

That being said, with dedication, hard work, and proper time management, it is certainly possible for you to excel in your Mechanics class and be able to solve a majority of the problems. It is important to focus on understanding the concepts and principles rather than just memorizing formulas and equations. Additionally, do not be afraid to seek help from your professors or peers if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem.

In summary, while your expectations are admirable, it is important to approach your Mechanics class with an open mind and willingness to learn. With effort and determination, you will undoubtedly achieve success in the class and develop a strong foundation in mechanics.

FAQ: What to expect from my Mechanics freshmen class

1. What topics will be covered in my Mechanics freshmen class?

The topics covered in your Mechanics freshmen class will depend on the specific curriculum and course outline set by your university. However, common topics that are typically covered in Mechanics courses include kinematics, forces, motion, energy, and momentum.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking a Mechanics freshmen class?

The prerequisites for taking a Mechanics freshmen class may vary by university, but typically include a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. Some universities may also require students to have taken a basic physics course or have a certain level of mathematical proficiency.

3. Will there be any hands-on experiments or labs in my Mechanics freshmen class?

This will depend on the specific course and instructor. Some Mechanics courses may include hands-on experiments or labs to demonstrate and apply the concepts being taught. It is always best to check with your instructor or course syllabus to see if there will be any lab components.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying for my Mechanics freshmen class?

The amount of time you will need to dedicate to studying for your Mechanics freshmen class will vary based on your individual learning style and the difficulty of the course. It is generally recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours studying for every hour spent in class.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in my Mechanics freshmen class?

Most universities offer a variety of resources to help students succeed in their Mechanics freshmen class. This may include tutoring services, study groups, online resources, and office hours with the instructor. It is important to take advantage of these resources and ask for help when needed.