What to read about Quantum Spin liquid

In summary, the conversation revolved around a Ph.D. position in a project that involves searching for spin liquid and other novel ground states. The candidate should already have a good understanding of the subject area and should know what to read. Suggestions were made for further reading, including a book on synthesizing inorganic materials and single crystals, Wen's book on quantum field theory of many-body systems, and Introduction to frustrated magnetism. It was also noted that there are only a few known spin liquids and that there has been a lot of numerical work done in this field.
Prins
Hello
I am joining as a Project assistant on a project called "Search for spin liquid and other novel ground states arising from an interplay between electronic correlations, spin-orbit coupling and geometric magnetic frustration"
what can i read to get onto the topic for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dishsoap said:
It seems like the candidate should already be pretty competent in that subject area - in which case, you should know what to read.
This is a Ph.D. position. They ask for knowledge of some techniques, but this doesn't mean that someone embarking on the project will know everything about the subject.

To the OP: you should ask the people you will be working with.

Likes Student100 and Prins
Prins said:
Of course
But you know there are always people who know better
So i just asked if someone has anything to recommend

Yes, I deeply apologize, I was wrong.

Are you trying to learn more about spin liquids?

If you want to learn the foundation of SLs you should look at Wen's book quantum field theory of many-body systems, as well as the references to papers. There is also a book called Introduction to frustrated magnetism which has more about experiments.

Topics you should note are frustration in the Heisenberg model, the large N limit/MF methods, RVB/BCS states and lattice gauge theories (most importantly confined and deconfined phase.

SLs involve quite a profound formalism which makes it difficult to see what is exactly going on physically. That's why Wen's book is really good.

Another thing to note is that there are very few SLs known to exist, the only one I can think of is Herbersmithite. However, there has been a lot of numerical work done recently with DMRG, variational Montecarlo, etc.

My current research is in this field.

Likes Prins

1. What is a quantum spin liquid?

A quantum spin liquid is a state of matter in which the magnetic moments of individual particles, or spins, do not align in a consistent pattern. Instead, they remain in a disordered, liquid-like state even at very low temperatures.

2. How is a quantum spin liquid different from other states of matter?

Unlike most materials, which have well-defined magnetic ordering at low temperatures, a quantum spin liquid has no long-range magnetic order. This means that the spins are constantly fluctuating and do not settle into a stable pattern.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum spin liquids?

Quantum spin liquids have potential uses in quantum computing, as the disordered nature of their spins could be harnessed for storing and processing information. They may also play a role in understanding the behavior of certain materials, such as high-temperature superconductors.

4. How are quantum spin liquids studied?

Researchers use a variety of experimental techniques, such as neutron scattering and nuclear magnetic resonance, to probe the behavior of quantum spin liquids. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to understand their properties and behavior.

5. Are there any materials that exhibit quantum spin liquid behavior?

While there is no definitive proof of a material that demonstrates a pure quantum spin liquid state, there have been some promising candidates such as herbertsmithite and kanodaite. However, further research and experimentation are still needed to fully understand and confirm the existence of quantum spin liquids in these materials.