1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to read/study over the summer?

1. May 20, 2007 #1
    I'm going to grad school for engineering in the fall and just got my BS in Physics. What should I read/study over the summer to get some preparation for engineering studies at the graduate level?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2007 #2
    What field of engineering are you studying? What subject area are you interested in pertaining to that field?

Nobody can answer your question based on the vague information you provided.

4. May 20, 2007 #3
    astronautical engineering. spacecraft systems design

5. May 20, 2007 #4
    Linear algebra, Linear controls theory, dynamics, calculus of variations, maybe some mechanics of materials and vibrations. (As pertaining to mechanical systems, not deriving equations. Know how to use it).

6. May 21, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i recommend don quixote book 1, and, if you can find it, the Phantom Blot (starring mickey mouse), and maybe what is mathematics? by courant and robbins, or geometry and the imagination by hilbert.

these are books you may not see i college so its the last time to get a chance to see their perspective.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  7. May 22, 2007 #6
    Is this supposed to be sarcasm? :confused:

8. May 22, 2007 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

does it seem poor advice or sarcastic? those are some of my favorite books. the idea is that this is the last free summer for a long time. why not read something good, that is not required? apparently you are not familiar with the great blot mystery. and courant and robbins or hilbert will teach you more math than a slew of college courses, and show the connections between different areas. unfortunately i did not read your prior post , so there was no intent to counter it.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  9. May 22, 2007 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

oops. he's going to grad school! in that case i would remove courant robbins and hilbert and add courant hilbert, methods of mathematical physics, and batman.

i think i had this confused with a previous thread which was a high schooler wanting similar advice before going to college. but sarcasm is not my forte, you have to be too clever. im more into humorous stupidity.

10. May 23, 2007 #9
    Sure, I think theres nothing wrong with taking time out to read some books that are not hard core science related (batman, etc). Also, more math is always a good thing.

Oh man, do engineering books do a piss poor job on the math. I have found that every time I have to 'learn' the new math from an engineering book its a disaster. When Ive seen the math done in a formal and proper way from a math class first, then I know what the author 'means' even though hes doing a crappy job explaining it.

11. May 23, 2007 #10

radou

Homework Helper

I second that.

12. May 23, 2007 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

as a math guy, i am interested in what books do a good job teaching math to engineers?

13. May 23, 2007 #12
    Stewart, Calculus concepts and context (second edition) was good for calc I,II, and III.

Lay (UMD) for linear algebra was good.

Stats, I used Navidi - HORRIBLE dont even TOUCH this book

Diff Eqs, Blanchard/Devaney/Hall (2nd), it was O.K.

These are the major courses one needs to know as far as engineering goes.

But I *wish* I had a good course on signals and systems.

I.e.

-fourier Transforms
    -z-transform
    -fourier series ( I just use them, dont really know the inner workings of them)
    -convolution integrals (engineering books BUTCHER them)
    -complex math
    -more discrete math (for digital system)

14. May 24, 2007 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i have heard the chapter in edwards and penney is good on fourier series.

and churchill has always been recommended for complex analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?