What types of birds over-winter where you live?

  • Thread starter Thread starter turbo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
turbo
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
3,181
Reaction score
57
I have 3 different bird-feeders in front of my office window (thistle seed, suet, sunflower seed) so I get to watch a lot of different birds. Chickadees are plentiful, and the red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatches tend to flock with them. Our winter finches are redpolls, and they are well-represented. Then of course there are the downy and hairy woodpeckers and the bluejays. That's about it.

The slate juncos stayed late this year, but since the nights have gotten so cold, they have been MIA. Perhaps they moved down Astronuc's way to avoid the bitter cold.

This line-up is probably what we will have for the rest of the winter until things start warming up again. What birds do you have?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
When I was doing consulting work for a mill in western KY in winter, I was pleasantly surprised to see all the cardinals. Of course, the blackbirds/starlings blackened the sky - impressive, but not that pretty.
 
nsaspook said:
Canada geese, pretty from the air but they really make a mess on the ground.
No kidding. When I was working for General Physics, I occasionally made winter visits to the home office in Columbia, MD. There was a pond near the office, and the Canada geese had the lawns so fouled up that you wouldn't dare to try to walk down there - and heaven help you if you fell down!
 
Got a new individual today. His breast is so brightly colored that I had to put on my glasses and get a better look to make sure it wasn't a purple finch. Nope. Just a redpoll, but a bright one. If I had seen him initially with other redpolls or maybe chickadees, I would have known he wasn't a purple finch (a bit too small).
 
White winged doves are the ones that I notice. In summer, there are so many that people consider them pests. In winter, there are only a bearable number in my yard.
 
turbo said:
I have 3 different bird-feeders in front of my office window (thistle seed, suet, sunflower seed) so I get to watch a lot of different birds. Chickadees are plentiful, and the red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatches tend to flock with them. Our winter finches are redpolls, and they are well-represented. Then of course there are the downy and hairy woodpeckers and the bluejays. That's about it.

The slate juncos stayed late this year, but since the nights have gotten so cold, they have been MIA. Perhaps they moved down Astronuc's way to avoid the bitter cold.

This line-up is probably what we will have for the rest of the winter until things start warming up again. What birds do you have?
We have the same birds. Juncos are here.

We have geese and various gulls, various hawks and owls.

The other day, we had several pairs of eastern bluebirds in the backyard, which was a surprise.

And we have various woodpeckers: Redbelly, downy and hairy.
 
Those little pigs have eaten 1/2 gallon of black-oil sunflower seeds since noon. We have freezing rain and drizzle, and there hasn't been a single redpoll at the feeders all day, so it's all chickadees eating those seeds.