What was the composition of ether according to the ancients?

  • Topic: History 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jeane300
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Composition Ether
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the ether made of...ether?

1659147825313.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge,”
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and Vanadium 50
jeane300 said:
What was the composition of ether according to the ancients?
Define "ancients". In the U.S. that generally means the ancient Greeks or earlier. Is that what you have in mind?
 
It wasn't composed of anything, ether just was. To 19th century scientists it had zero density and infinite rigidity, properties like that.
 
Aether was like 'air' in their eyes I suppose. Space? It's really hard to describe what it could be like without using the word aether!

The speed of light experiments Michelson Morley dispensed with the notion from memory.

Ether is a volatile liquid that we used euthanise a lot of insects at university.
It smells nice.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jeane300
From Elements of Natural Philosophy, by Elroy M. Avery, Ph.D., Sheldon and Company, 1878 and 1885:

Lumiferous Ether.jpg

Lumiferous Ether 2.jpg

I knew there was a reason I kept that book. Important knowledge such as this must not be lost.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd, mcastillo356, jeane300 and 2 others
We still don't know what question we're answering since @jeane300 has not bothered to define what "ancients" she's talking about. To me 1878 is NOT "ancient", it's just slightly elderly. Like me, only more so.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, jeane300 and berkeman
jrmichler said:
I knew there was a reason I kept that book. Important knowledge such as this must not be lost.
Fantastic connections , thanku very much.
 
phinds said:
Define "ancients". In the U.S. that generally means the ancient Greeks or earlier. Is that what you have in mind?
Yes, I am talking about ancient Greeks and medieval science,
 
pinball1970 said:
Aether was like 'air' in their eyes I suppose. Space? It's really hard to describe what it could be like without using the word aether!

The speed of light experiments Michelson Morley dispensed with the notion from memory.

Ether is a volatile liquid that we used euthanise a lot of insects at university.
It smells nice.
It's funny because when we talk about 'ether' the reference is always the smell heheheh
 
phinds said:
We still don't know what question we're answering since @jeane300 has not bothered to define what "ancients" she's talking about. To me 1878 is NOT "ancient", it's just slightly elderly. Like me, only more so.
I put, Greeks, and medieval science
 
jeane300 said:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/539311/files/ext-2002-016.pdf

What was the composition of ether according to the ancients?

jeane300 said:
I put, Greeks, and medieval science

No, your OP had a link to more modern "ether/aether" topics, not ancient Greece.

This thread is a mess, and is now closed. Please PM me again to see if we can salvage a new thread start for whatever the heck you are really asking. Lordy.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phinds